Thread: Windows XP netcard #2

Question Windows XP netcard #2

Ok, here it goes....
    On one of my winXP machines I had ICS (Internet connection sharing) on, two nics installed and everything went great, small LAN with three comps and an outbound connection.

After a few days, the machine became slow and halted eventually (yes, MS Product feature).
    I reboot, and neither my Local LAN or Internet connection work, nothing, no error-messages, everything looks ok, but I cant connect anywhere...

Ok, reinstalled both connections, nothing, opened the box, reinstalled the nics, nothing, tried the nics in another computer, works great (of course)... hated life for a while, reinstalled one nic, tried to do the reset thingy in XP, nothing, reinstalled TCP/IP a few times... tried a bunch of other stuff...

Finally, I tried to disable QoS, nothing... I enabled it again, nothing, I pulled my hair for a while, nothing... then I disabled QoS again, viola, I was online.

Now, my problem is, I have to enable/disable QoS in winXP everytime I reboot since then (*nix users, dont laugh). I've spent days searching for anything like this in MSDN, and nothing, seems like this has only happened to me, ever.

I reboot every 1-2 weeks, but this is annoying as hell, Im 4xMCP and I cant get it to work, Its frustrating as hell, and embarrasing.

Anyone, Please?!
    .sig - There never was a .sig?
    I own a Schneider EuroPC with MS-Dos 3.3 and it works.

Regal Making Handler
    Had probs with ICS myself, i had managed to get it to work for a while but i use AOL and they don't support it on version 7 which i use, it was a pain to set up. Had to manualy change the host machines ip address everytime i used it. Anyway i moved the host pc elsware and was never able to get it to work again.

Basicaly i think its just a flacky piece of software.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Well yeah, I can agree somewhat too that, but its damn easy to configure, anyways it seems its the QoS service that is the problem... No matter how I try to disable it (the reghack and all that), its allways the same thing after I reboot...

What you may try, is bridging connections... Its a feature of windows xp that will let you have a personal lan and bridge that with your internet connection, thus making your winxp machine the gateway to the internet. Its worth a shot if you have a hub, and it works just like ICS.
    <chsh> I've read more interesting technical discussion on the wall of a public bathroom than I have at AO at times

Yeah, the bridging thing, I havent tried that, thanx for the info but thas is not my problem really, the problem is QoS (I think) and the fact that I have to enable/disable it everytime I reboot, this sounds like a really wierd problem, and well... It is, because as I said before, no error message, It even says "connected" on that little taskbar-thing... but its like everything is blocked, like when you tell your FW to block everything...
    btw I dont use ICS on this machine anymore.

I have had similar problems with network with XP in general, I was able to avoid prroblems if I was extremely careful not to invoke any of the new network wizards, I finally got fed up and went back to 2000 for my main desktop and have been happy ever since.

You could get yourself a good NAT router and just be done with it, its what I use and have no complaints save for the inability to host games on my linux server for friends on-line and connect to it myself.
    -Those are my principles. If you don\'t like them, I have others.
    --Groucho Marx

I had the same problem when I changed from MS Melll to XP, sometimes ICS would work and sometimes not. So eventully I went with the router idear, and without ICS running I managed to shut down some other services which in my opinion are a security risk. I run a games server 'NOLF' at times for the kids, it runs great DMZ or port forwarding (online or lan). If I could only get NOLF to run on NIX I would be contented.

Originally posted here by wyverspur
    I have had similar problems with network with XP in general, I was able to avoid prroblems if I was extremely careful not to invoke any of the new network wizards, I finally got fed up and went back to 2000 for my main desktop and have been happy ever since.

You could get yourself a good NAT router and just be done with it, its what I use and have no complaints save for the inability to host games on my linux server for friends on-line and connect to it myself.
    Most NAT routers have an option called "Port Forwarding" that you can use to forward packets to servers on your internal LAN. This will let you provide services though the router

I had problems with ICS (Windows 2000 and then XP) myself too, and got sick of it. So I got myself a 486 with a working floppy drive and 16MB of RAM, put the two ethernet cards from my ICS machine into the 486... downloaded Coyote Linux Windows Installer, and created myself a Linux gateway instead of my Windows ICS machine. Worked great! The only time it's down is whenever I restart due to a firewall change I put in, or the power goes out. Just somethign to think about, because with the damn memory hole the Windows seems to have and after a few days you HAVE to reboot your machine anyway, might as well go with something that costs like $15 and have it running all the time.

Sometimes with Windows issues, rather than trying to trouble shoot them, I think it's just easier to junk it and go a totally different direction. Plus I noticed that my Linux gateway actually worked better than my ICS machine anyway, as in faster/better handling of bandwidth to my computers on my internal network.
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]