How do I access window's files from linux

Thread: How do I access window's files from linux

How do I access window's files from linux

I just installed mandrake 9.1 on my computer, and it co-exists with windows on different partitions on my computer, I read somewhere that I can access things I have on windows through linux. How do you do this because I need to be able to access aol from windows and use it while I'm on linux. Also another thing that bothered me was that when I set up linux it asked me what desktop I wanted to use and I put KMD or something like that... It is exactly identical to windows and is too easy to use, I was wondering if there were more challenging desktops to use and if there are how would I change it from the one that I have.

*P.S- The other desktop choices it gave me was GNOME, DEFAULT, and two others

Thanks to everyone in advance for answering

Hmm, im not sure exactly what to tell you about the desktops, but as far as getting to you windows partition try this

[root@localhost /]# mount -t fstype /dev/hda1 /mountpoint

i think with mandrake 9.1 and most current distros you can specify ntfs for the fs type, but if not try vfat, because I am pretty sure that will work. As for the /dev/hda1, substitute the name of your windows partition you are trying to access, and for the mountpoint just use something simple like /windows or /mnt/windows

Hope this helps, and if im wrong on this feel free to correct me.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Go here it has what you want I'm pretty sure.,3149351.story

>Hope that helps.
    [glowpurple]NooNoo\'s [/glowpurple]