operation longhorn...windows next os

View Poll Results: The office Quater back vs the Bastard SysAdmin who would win??

32. You may not vote on this poll
  • BSA would 0wn his ass

9 28.13%
  • All that would remian of the BSA would be a bloody smear on the carpet

4 12.50%
  • the office quaterback would win phsicaly but arrive home to discover that the combined national debt of russia and france had been added to his credit card bill

19 59.38%

Thread: operation longhorn...windows next os

Blast From the Past

Question operation longhorn...windows next os

I heard on the show The Screen savers on tech tv that microsoft is working on a new os and they called the operation "LONGHORN". i really dont care about that what i would like to no is if what they say is true that M.S. is adding a new program built in that will stop you from tweaking certain details on ur os. they say they are saving users from them selves. Do u think that the more computer oriented rebublic will reject this os? yes or no?

Definitely. I use MS software everyday, even though I don't agree with everything they do, but restricting what you can do with your OS...just bites. I think of course, workarounds will come about, tutorials on where to change information in your files so that you can make changes take place, but who wants to go to all of that extra work? It's like pre-SP1 with XP, having to go into system files to remove Windows Messenger. That changed with the service pack, by it showing up in your programs, but for advanced users, it's just more annoying than anything.

I'm big on modding my desktop, bootscreen...I even have ObjectDock running and my XP Home box and it looks like OS X. If I want things to be a certain way, I don't want to have to deal with a long drawn out process of making changes, it's just a turnoff to using the OS. In a way, I can see where MS is coming from, assuming that the majority of computer users are stupid and would only mess things up by tweaking their system, but at least put the OPTION there. Maybe on installation, are you a newbie or advanced user, or something to that effect, that way, if you have something that you want to tweak, the option is there, instead of assuming you're automatically stupid and having to go about it the hard way.

I know that for myself.. I love Windows.... sure it's buggy as hell, and it's exploitable, but any OS can be. I've used other operating systems most of my life and I can do what I have to, but it's a lot nicer when the OS takes care of the little things for you.. I'll always stick to new Windows operating systems especially since they seem to get better and more stable... but if they start making it so i can't tweak and mod. my OS.. i'll definately be going back to *nix...

What you are referring to is known as Palladium ("the next-generation secure computing base"). Its prior goal is to allow users MORE control of what programs do and are allowed to do.
    An example: right now virii are able to damage your entire computer. Some are even able to take out your anti-virus software. Now, when an anti-virus company writes a anti-virus solution that uses Palladium, you (the user) could order the anti-virus software to use Palladium (from what I've heard untill know, they wouldn't force you to use Palladium). The consequence: Palladium will protect your anti-virus software.
    Palladium is able to protect the memory a program uses, meaning no other programs will be able to use it.

Palladium is a combination of hard- and software. The hardware consist of a specific chip - SSC, or Security Support Component, only used for specific security-matters. The advantage of such a chip: the SSC is able to perform huge en-/decryption calculations: its processing-power will be used exclusively for en-/decryption. It's Microsoft's dream to see one of those SSC's in every computer around. Only then can its powers entirely be used. This is why Intel and AMD are involved.

There are a lot of rumours about Palladium. Some correct, some not. Privacy-organizations have said that MS will make it impossible to load another OS than Windows on your PC, that you won't be able to play illegal MP3's anymore, that MS will use Palladium to block your system from executing software from competitors. Technically, this ain't even possible with Palladium: it doesn't have that functionality.
    Palladium will only act if a program wants to use its security-functions. Only software that has built-in Palladium support, can use Palladium. It could be used to protect software from illegal copying, but MS has stressed that that is not the main goal.

Although Palladium and DRM (Digital Rights Management) are something completely different, there are cases where Palladium could be used. Let's say you have an MP3 secured with DRM. If you play the file, your system will place the data in the memory. Theoretically, some program could read the memory and use this data to copy the MP3. Palladium could prevent this by protecting the memory...

The future? Longhorn will have Palladium-functionality built-in. This, as mentioned before, will not prevent you from dual-booting your PC: as long as the software doesn't address Palladium, Palladium won't meddle with anything.

Blast From the Past
    o ok i remember palladium but the way it was explained to me is that they are limiting what u can do to keep urself from like crashing your computer
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger