Thread: sharing problems

Post sharing problems

I have just recently started having problems. I have 2 computers on my network, not running domain, both are connected to the same workgroup called "WORKGROUP" (go figure).
    They are connected on my linksys router
    One is wireless and one is wired
    One was in the DMZ while the other was not.
    Just recently I installed Tiny personal Firewall onto the DMZ computer so that I wouldnt be subject to attacks and hack and the such.

I have two shares on each computer and a printer share on the dmz computer.
    Now after the install of the firewall and I gave full trust to both IPs whenever I try to connect to the other computers share a box pops up that wants login information, the only problem is that it defaults to the guest account and grays it out so I cant change the account and then asks for a password. well i have my guest accounts disabled so no matter what I do it will not give me access to the other drive

What I have tried:
    I tried disabling the firewall, taking the computer out of the DMZ, wiring the wireless connection and none of these have worked.

I would appreciate it if someone could let me know if there was something I was missing or a reason why this will not work. I would like to either enable myself to login as any account or not have to worry about authenticating anymore.

Edit: After all the info I gave you I forgot I run windows XP pro on the wired and Windows XP home on the wireless
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Spyrus,

I doubt this would be of much use to you, but have you tried intalling Pro onto the other machine and seeing if the problem persists?
    http://members.cox.net/blankman71/BlankNUBanner.gif
    BlankCo INC., Supplying Nebraska With Office Linebackers Since January 2003
    \"That\'ll teach you to whistle on the Sabbath!\" - Homer Simpson

This may help. Its the closest thing I could find to the problem you were describing. Have you tried re-enabling the guest account?
    Good Luck!

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;139592

You will normally get this when you don't have the same usernames and passwords on both computers.

I would also make sure that the guest accound is disabled on both PCs.... unless you really need it. I think that if you run a web server, you need guest. If that machine in the DMZ has a webserver running, thats probably why its asking for the guest account.

Just a guess... it happened to me, and that was my problem.

I am not running a webserver or any other type of service other than an FTP on that computer and I use that computer to manage shell accounts and so forth. As for putting XP pro on both computers I dont want to do that either because I only have one license for each. I do not want the guest account activated, I have the same admin account and password for both computers, but doesnt seem to make a difference, I guessing this is because they are not in a domain just workgroups
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

umm... a question Spyrus, which one of your XP boxes is the host? Which one is in the DMZ and which one isn't? I know the XP Pro is wired... but i can't tell if the wired one is in the DMZ from your description. Anyway WinXP HE can't log onto a domain (as I think you probaby know) hence the reason for using as a workgroup. If you want XP HE to log in to Pro as a workgroup I think (could be wrong) that you have to have the guest account enabled. Why so much of a problem with enabling the guest account? Is it because it's limited in what it can do (which is a good thing if you ask me)? Or is it because by default the guest account has no password (which is not a good thing)? If it's the latter then just give the guest account a password. Ok so you'll still have to authenticate.... I know it might be a bit of a pain but surely it is a good thing to authenticate. I'm a little worried (for you) why you would want to bypass all the authentication.......

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes