Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Telnet, Putty?

Jinx: I think i hear Russia calling, they want their PARANOIA back

Back to reality, why bother doing it weekly? just to keep the old gcc running well eheh?

as well as all the above reasons, Putty also compresses the data / commands before it sends them, or is capable of doing so through ssh i think, this also creates another advantage of not having such a slow telnet / ssh session, plus theres even a ftp client made by the same people which i have found to be ok, at least if you dont have some form of GUI ftp client already

but still anything is always better than windoze built in stuff right?
    specially on the matters of security / efficiency

hey, does anyone know of a telnet server in which i can test telnet programs?? any help would be appriciated
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

I used to use sdf.lonestar.org, you can telnet right in and set up a next account.
    telnet://sdf.lonestar.org/
    Its just a basic linux shell. Used to use it when i first discovered linux, and i didnt know how to partition.

http://ffinders.virtualave.net/displ.../view?catid=92

Here is some other shells if you wanna know, havent tried any of the others. Msg me if you try and they are good.

The difference between using Putty and not using Telnet is because you don't want people to be able to sniff your username and password as they travel from computer to computer. Google the keywords "password sniffing" and you should get a large response to your query. Reputable sites you can visit to learn more about this are www.cert.org and www.sans.org Hope this helps

PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

Originally posted here by the_JinX
    I compile my own putty from the source (weekly) so I think I'm safe !!
    Hey, do u compile ur own compiler? Do u compile the compiler that u use to compile ur own compiler? Do u compile...

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

lol.. ur right jdenny

The plus on putty's telnet instead of the windows (9x) telnet (hyperterminal) is that putty understands the ANSI escape thingies..

so you can elinks and mc in collor !!
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !