Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guide to be a Security Hacker

Banned

Guide to be a Security Hacker

Hey All,

When someone becomes comsumed with the idea to become a hacker/cracker, they visit the internet (sites like hackers.com, networkpunks.com, etc) and find dated tutorials (most recent are dated 1996) about what it takes to become a hacker. Tutorials like "Ultimate Beginner's Guide To Hacking" by Revelation, or "Beginner's Guide" by Phooey talk about having to drown yourself in tutorials and books about programming, networking, os's, viruses and more so.

And most people who want to be a hacker (not a cracker - whatever title you prefer, be it security guru, safety admin....) must know how the opposition works (ie: hacker's know the weaknesses in your system, shouldn't you?)

So, my question for everyone here at AO is what does it take now to be a (security) hacker?

Must we tell everyone that they need to know every programming language under the sun?
    Or that they must know every type of OS?

So this is what my question for this tread is.

Why not write an AO beginner's guide to security hacking?

What do you people think?

(ie: talk about honeypots, firewalls, palms, antivirus, programming, networking, etc...)

Edit: I moved this tread from Addicts so that everyone can contribute, those who know and those who want to know about certain subjects.

Kinda like compiling the useful information from this site into a guide for those new to the scene.

I think thats a great idea. I think you might try to move it to site suggestions maybe.

>I'd like to know what it takes.
    [glowpurple]NooNoo\'s [/glowpurple]

It would be great including tuts about $M, Mac, and Unix.

This would compile a great study for those new to the scene

When in doubt do a rm -rf *

GreekGoddess
    I thought Ennis did a really great job in outlining the basics with his Ultimate Newbie Guide in the tutorials section:

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=218093

And a look at the tutorials forum index is also a great resource full of tutorials from beginning to advanced.

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=133897

Hey Hey

I think it's a great idea... I looked at Ennis's Newbie Guide and it's great, but it's almost more of a guide to the Computer "underworld" community.. When I hear tyger_claw talk about this. I'm thinking actual information, and yes there are tutorials, but it would be nice to do up a really nice document, footnotes, appendices, glossaries, and so on, on everything the basics of all areas of computer security..

I'd definately be interested in assisting in a project like that.

Banned
    I'm up to do my part (I'll even write it all to a .pdf file with Acrobat - bookmarks and all) but with need of some assistance from several aoer's

Ennis's tutorial is great, but a little vague on some topics, no mention of other topics and has little to no examples (Ennis, if you read this, take no offense, it's a great tut. - heck I'd love the help!)

But I'd like to make something for everyone. Kinda like spoonfeeding the newbies, but just to say not fully. As well, it would help myslef and others (i'm assuming) to learn a vast amount of information that we wouldn't go and find ourselves...

I know about viruses, but not everything (if that is possible)
    And I know about networking, but never did the N+ course, so obviously lacking major there
    Also, I know some programming, but not to the extent of some AOer's

Kinda get what I mean?

ie:
    Table of Content
    1.OS's
    1.1.Linux
    1.2.Windows
    1.3.MacOS
    1.4.DOS
    1.5.OS/2.....
    2.Networking
    2.1.Typologies
    2.2.Hubs,Switches,Routers......
    3.Programming
    3.1.BASIC
    3.2.Python
    3.3.C/C++
    3.4.HTML.......
    4.Anti-Hack
    4.1.Honeypots
    4.2.Profiling.....

????? Suggestions, comments, questions?

Or how about instead of spoon feading people as you put it give the full of AO (or those who are interested)homework so to speak like say if it was codeing in C direct people to a C tutorial link and tell them to write up small programs and stuff or if it was networking give people a few chapters of tcp/ip to read and test them on it it would be a good learning experience and maybe a new way to rank members at AO other than the antipoints system ? thoughts ...feedback....or just a plain ole **** idea
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

That's a cool idea prodikal but the implementation of it would involve way too much work, plus it would require a lot of people coming together and putting in a lot of extra time.

If we stick with the document idea... ( I love the PDF idea TC) then each person can write they're own section and contribute it.. Everyone interested can post that they are interested and we can break up the work to be done and then each person can just submit it back to TC to be added to a single compilation in PDF format... I think it could really fly and it would be a great idea. I remember when I first got into computers (early - mid 90s) everything out there was dated and most of the material you found on "hacking" sites was useless.. If you put it all together into a nice document available for everyone and keep it up-to-date it could be a very valuable document for everyone.. Not only the newbies.. but also the experienced as a quick reference guide.

people comeing together and stuph aint so bad HTRegz but it would be a much better way to rank people at AO other that the AP sytem which is way to easy to abuse and at least we know people will be learning stuff
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

Wouldn't be bad at all.... It's just that it requires a lot more effort. A lot of people come here to ask and answer questions only.. they aren't going to want to have to put in time doing tests and reading information to prove they're knowledgeable in the area. Either way both are good ideas...