Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: html.redolf.a

html.redolf.a

Hi
    I have just been infected by the html.redolf.a virus. it has corrupted my "c:\windows\system\kernel32.dll" file and it also infects any html file it finds. It also attempts to run some script at the startup of windows buyt is unable to as it is denied access by norton antivirus. Nav detects it but is unable to repair it. Pls help how shud i remove it. I have win XP and using norton av 2002

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Please tell me you made an AV boot disk? The only reason that it can't repair the kernel file is because it's in use. So if you don't have a recovery disk from the AV software, you're only next step is wipe and re-install. =P

Before you do anything, take a look here:

http://vil.mcafee.com/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=99476

They seem to have removal instructions. Check the bottom of the page for specific instructions on fixing Win ME/XP
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I also run win me on same box. so can i boot into win me and repair the file from there...

Might be able to but check the instructions. They are probably the best bet.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

hey,
    frankly I want to say one thing, if you had originallicense of the anti virus for the coopy you had, then your immmediate choice will be to contact the norton and send them a copy of the file you had.
    then as you your AV had identified the virus, you better update the AV again so that the latest update may have the possibility or feature to remove the virus, I tink you understood what I mean, I think as Ms Mittens told, you can try with boot disk, if you have not already made, then get the boot disk made on your friend's system or so, and then scanyour system and try to remove things from DOS.
    Also, I am not sure abou this, but may be ytou can try to replace the kernel32.dll, by copying it from your friend's system who is running winxp.
    please donot balme me if it donot work, just an idea around, to do this if possible, you go to your friend's system or If I remember correctly, you can download almost all .dll files rom the website http://www.dll-files.com
    So, an alternate choice you already had is win me rinstalled, then , even this copying and pasting of kernel32.dll can e done from win ME as at that time, it will be like one another file whcih can be easily copied and pasted on to your winxp kernel32.dll(hey donot copy win ME kernel32.dll, but another win XP system kernel32.dll, ) you cn tyr that option too.
    then if you ffeel the installed things are important and you lose something, then try t contact the norton, ofcourse it may take sometime, but I feel you can get things done in a beter way(I confirm my words, and you do accorind, if your norton is a licensed one).
    Then last bet is , just format that particular drive where you had installe the win Xp, and reinstall the OS.
    I say this would be the last option

hey

shantz. are you an indian, I too
    great to which palce you belong, if you ar nearer to me, I think I can help you better
    ofcourse not just for this alone, we can have some good discussion too.
    I am from kakinada, andhra pradesh, india

Banned
    Hey, I thnk you can go to norton.com and they have some online tools can check u dick for virus and u can update NAV

i think u can also go to the site neworder.box.sk
    there is an article on how the redlof html virus works and how to remove (scripts available)
    i guess u should first of all delete all the folder.htt files and the desktop.ini files. after that replace ur explorer and some .dll files . i guess that should do the job
    there is a paper on it in the above site titled Paper on the HTML.Redlof.A virus .
    so get goin.
    when was the last time you did something for the first time! Do something!!

Strange, I cannot find a virus by that name in any antivirus data base.
    For every animal you don\'t eat, I\'m gonna eat three....Maddox

Just type in html as the search option. It took me a couple of tries with McAfee