~Grumble~ I hate windows with a passion. Considering switching to Linux next weekend.

Okay, I don't think this really qualifies as a security thread, but I don't know where else to post it.

For some reason half the time I try and open an EXE file I get this popup error:

"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."

Now, this is really annoying, because it won't let me run any of the programs I write on my own computer. And you have no idea how big of a pain it is to have to drive downtown to my friend's house every time I want to test a program.

Unfortunately there really isn't much rhyme or reason to the programs it will or won't let me run, only that the ones that won't run tend to be simpler. Such as the ones I write (I admit it, I'm not a very good programmer). Counter-Strike works fine, but half my security software doesn't. Microsoft Visual C++ gets the error, but Borland C++ Builder 6 runs fine.

Three-part question. 1. How did this happen (I have the sneaking suspicion my roommate did it. I cannot wait to move out of the dorms), 2. how can I fix it? And 3. If it's too much trouble to be fixed, how hard is the transiton from XP to Linux?

Anything you can offer for help will be very much appreciated.