Thread: "Config.nt", is that important?

"Config.nt", is that important?

~Grumble~ I hate windows with a passion. Considering switching to Linux next weekend.

Okay, I don't think this really qualifies as a security thread, but I don't know where else to post it.

For some reason half the time I try and open an EXE file I get this popup error:

"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."

Now, this is really annoying, because it won't let me run any of the programs I write on my own computer. And you have no idea how big of a pain it is to have to drive downtown to my friend's house every time I want to test a program.

Unfortunately there really isn't much rhyme or reason to the programs it will or won't let me run, only that the ones that won't run tend to be simpler. Such as the ones I write (I admit it, I'm not a very good programmer). Counter-Strike works fine, but half my security software doesn't. Microsoft Visual C++ gets the error, but Borland C++ Builder 6 runs fine.

Three-part question. 1. How did this happen (I have the sneaking suspicion my roommate did it. I cannot wait to move out of the dorms), 2. how can I fix it? And 3. If it's too much trouble to be fixed, how hard is the transiton from XP to Linux?

Anything you can offer for help will be very much appreciated.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of hackers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
    I am what I am and I do what I can.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    You might find some advice here:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Oper..._20514064.html

Now as to how it happened, could be your roommate, maybe a virus? Hard to say.

As for the transition from XP to Linux, depends on what you want to do with Linux. If it's just to play games, you can do it although you may find the game selection a little thinner than what you get with Windows (I do at least, especially when it comes to strategy games).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

<topic off>

MsMittens go play freeciv or something

</topic>

RunningDuck, http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/n1026574044
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !