Thread: Question-Offline Results from Hackers?

Unhappy Question-Offline Results from Hackers?

Several months ago, I had a total crash. I didn't have anymore trouble after I restored for a while on the internet, however, someone began using my checking and credit card account numbers and charges were made to these accounts. I was informed it was a hacker. Since then, complications have arisen in numerous areas in my community such as my banking system, SS number and numerous other businesses. Even after starting a new checking account, the first check I wrote was not accepted at that place of business. One store continuously will not accept my check card. I'm at the point of having to change identity. Again I have had other hackers, one on email then messenger since then also. I happen to have one of the regularly used ports. Could this be a hacker, and how much damage can they really do to you besides on your computer? And no I'm not paranoid, after listing my downfalls, this is what was suggested to me, and I would like to know if that is a possible reason. If not, what is? Thanks!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    They could take away your identity. For lack fo a better description. Identity theft isn't new and has been on the rise. It's quite possible that someone gained access prior to the crash and kept the access. You said you "restored" after a crash. If it's from a backup and that backup was infect with a trojan horse or some other "network" tool, they would continue to have access to everything you do online.

Try this for a while. Create a new checking account -- but in person. And only do your banking in person, not online. See how successful that is. If it is, you should notify the police that someone is "stealing" from you.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Identity Theft: What to Do if It Happens to You

http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs17a.htm
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Angry

I wouldn't say it is identity theft. Unless they want to take it and make a mess of it. I did the bank account change already, but with the same name and bank. I've had nothing but trouble with the bank since. All is fixing to change, though. It was a hacker that caused the crash and they got my account numbers and charged somethings to my accounts. I restored, but lost everthing, nothing came from back-up. All the information about me is being put into and taken out of computers all over the city I live in. My car tag was not in the State computer when checked, 2 cell phones died, checks aren't accepted, and the list goes on and on. I was mainly curious if the hackers did do that much damage to their prey or could it be somebody doing this to me.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Hackers could do it. Would they? Well, it'd be unusual. Usually it's someone who knows you. They have a beef and want to get revenge so either they do it or pay someone to do it. Do you have an ex who might be pissed at something?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage