Thread: Get Rid OF ANTI-Points System

Get Rid OF ANTI-Points System

I think that a majority of your actual users are people that have been kicked off because of your stupid anti-point system. It's rude, unfair because other people are judging you, and you don't even have the ability to defend your position, your automatically losing points, next then you know, your getting banned. I don't think it's right that you ban people who are trying to use your site, c'mon, think about it for a minute, how many people/visitors to your site have you lost because of this system, on top of that, how much hate mail does it generate. Well, that's my view on the whole point system. Thanks for your time.

PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

I think the antipoint system is a good idea BUT the only reason anyone should ever get banned is for blatent abuse / mis-use.

I refer to a row I had with eRok - no swear words or harsh insults we're exchanged and it was only a MINOR disagreement. But now I find that eveytime I log in I get the 'Your being a pain in the ass' message and warnings that unless I change my ways I'm gonna be banned.

Do I bring value to AO as a user? YES
    Do I answer others questions? YES, well try to..
    Do I swear & whine? No

Fair enough if people want to disagree with each other thats cool, and if people want to give each other negative antipoints then thats cool too BUT there's no way you should be banned for simply expressing your opinion. (Unless its racist, hate speech, or just ridiculously offensive) I think we're all a bit too quick to assign negs here at AO.
    If we dont make mistakes we cant learn.
    If your banned before you can walk your gonna hate AO and probably post some nasty sh1t

Lets all try to be tolerant of each other.
    I remember when Nihil was ickle. Does that mean I'm old?

AP discussions are never going to get you anywhere... except maybe raise your number of posts by a few.

Sure a lot of stupid APs are handed out, but remember people who are new and going around negging people for the hell of it aren't doing any damage. If you post valuable information (yeah i know that's what everyone always says) then you'll be properly rewarded.

I've had first hand experience with them... I complained and it didn't do me any good, actually it harmed me more than helped me... but now I've completely forgotten about them and started posting useful (IMO) information and helping out when I can.. I've found that everytime I log in i've got more and more greenies and less negs. So the system does work... you just have to stick with it and not b*tch about it.

I agree with you that some folks may have been banned before they should have via the AP system. As such, if such a case presents itself, let one of the mods or myself know about the situation and we'll take a look at it on a case by case basis. We haven't decided how we're going to handle the AP system yet, and are still weighing the good against the bad. If you have thoughts about it, let us know (and yes, I've read the many discussions on the matter that have come up in the past--it's obviously a hotly debated subject).

Prehaps a system should be implmented when a certain level of negative points are reahed a staff member should be notifiyed and should evaluate the areas where points where deducted and establish whether a person should be banned or not,

rather than some one who dosent like some one being able to get all his friends to get this person banned

Thanks
    Wispy

That's a great idea Wispy, not that makes sense.

PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    when a certain level of negative points are reahed a staff member should be notifiyed
    I know you mean well....but this isn't nursery school!! Geez!

All you have to do is sign up again -- lesson learned!

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

Well, first of all I think the antipoint system is a good thing because lots of people almost abuse this site such as people who arent fun to hang around with just like in the real world. Say there was a big whiner here and so people neg him/her because they don't like whiners, but whould you want to be hanging around with a whiner or listen to there complaints 24/7.

Antipoints are a bad thing also because some people abuse it, like giving good or bad antipoints for no odd reason. But then you get that message as VicE$DoS$ says and that should give you a hint to kinda slow down a little read it a couple times before you post, make sure you post something that can be useful to someone, not just a waste of time.

>Thats just my opinion.
    [glowpurple]NooNoo\'s [/glowpurple]

Originally posted here by intmon
    I agree with you that some folks may have been banned before they should have via the AP system. As such, if such a case presents itself, let one of the mods or myself know about the situation and we'll take a look at it on a case by case basis. We haven't decided how we're going to handle the AP system yet, and are still weighing the good against the bad. If you have thoughts about it, let us know (and yes, I've read the many discussions on the matter that have come up in the past--it's obviously a hotly debated subject).
    intmon,

I see the AP system as an asset. I too had my bouts of getting negged unfairly, all of us who have been here for a while have. If the system was unfair, or prone to being badly abused, then most of us would not be here to post about it. In my newbie days I got loads of them. There is a neat little feature in the system that limits the frequency of any one person abusing the system. I am sure you have gotten the message about having to spread out your antipoints before you can assign any more to so and so user. I mean no offense to any body in particular with the system. My experience on this board is that I can't remember any time that I have seen a person banned automatically that did not deserve it.
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?