March 25th, 2003, 01:12 PM
Configuring IE Security Zones
I wrote a brief tutorial to walk a novice user through configuring the Security Zones in Internet Explorer. It can be viewed at:
<<edited to replace URL with actual tutorial content >>
1. Click on Tools on the menu bar at the top of Internet Explorer
2. Click on Internet Options from the Tools drop-down menu
3. When Internet Options opens up, click on the Security tab
4. Internet Explorer begins by categorizing sites into either Internet, Local Intranet, Trusted Site or Restricted Site zones. You can specify the security settings for each zone. Select the zone you wish to configure.
5. You can use the Default Level button to select from the pre-defined security settings Microsoft set up in Internet Explorer. See Tips for details of each setting.
6. MEDIUM is most appropriate for the majority of Internet surfing. It has safeguards against malicious code, but is not so restrictive as to prohibit you from viewing most web sites.
7. You can also click on the Custom Level button and alter individual settings, starting with one of the Default levels as a baseline and then changing specific settings.
1. LOW -Minimal safeguards and warning prompts are provided -Most content is downloadable and run without prompts -All active content can run -Appropriate for sites that you absolutely trust
2. MEDIUM-LOW -Same as Medium without prompts -Most content will be run without prompts -Unsigned ActiveX controls will not be downloaded -Appropriate for sites on your local network (Intranet)
3. MEDIUM -Safe browsing and still functional -Prompts before downloading potentially unsafe content -Unsigned ActiveX controls will not be downloaded -Appropriate for most Internet sites
4. HIGH -The safest way to browse, but also the least functional -Less secure features are disabled -Appropriate for sites that might have harmful content
March 25th, 2003, 04:57 PM
While good info is *always* welcome here, in my opinion, you are walking a very fine line between providing info and advertising. I see that you are new here so you may want to read the FAQ on this as I predict that someone will neg you for shameless promotion, especially when they get pop up pages when clicking on your link above.
Anyway, something to consider if you plan on establishing a respectable presence here.
Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden