Thread: corporative update

corporative update

Hi !!
    Somebody know some open source tool like RH up2date server?

thnks!
    Groby

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I don't know if I understood your question but I'll give it a shot. Do you mean is there something like Red Hat's up2date program for everyone else?

I think SUSE has something similar but again it's for their products specifically. You might try Ximian. They have something called Red Carpet but it's for desktop utilities and the desktop itself (Gnome for sure. Not sure on KDE). I recently installed it and it's ok. Not as fancy as up2date but ok.

Because distributions have specific setups I don't think you'll find a single-be-all-tool. You can use sites like RPMFind to find utilities in simple, install packages (I have lazy periods and rpmfind is a godsend during these times).

Don't know if that helped.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

thnks, MsMittens!

yes, it is the point. I found some utilities, but restricted to specifics apps.
    I'm using a Brian Hatch's perl script to get the rpms from ftp or http with wget and later, with rpm -F update the systems. I use the rhn on PC1 and the others get the rpms from it.
    This aproach have a handicap: all the PC have to download all the site.
    I'm searching for a app that sync the server and the others PC using up2date...

ByE!
    groby

PS Sorry for my poor english...

I found it!!
    and I going to try it: http://www.nrh-up2date.org/
    It's a sustitute for rhn service, and is free!!
    now... let's rock!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Very nifty! Thanks for posting that tool.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage