Fun server naming schemes

Thread: Fun server naming schemes

Fun server naming schemes

Hi everyone,
    I am in the process of building an entirely new network infrastructure including a file/print/domain server, exchange server, mail gateway server, and fax server. I'm stuck on what I should use for a server naming scheme. I don't want to go with the old boring companyname1, or exchange1 type naming... I want to do something more fun than that. The best ideas that I've heard so far are greek god names (eg. Zeus for the domain server, Hermes for the exchange server...) or animal sounds for a server farm (eg. oink, moo, woof...) What are your ideas?
    Love is the only reality of the world, because it is all One, you see. And the only laws are paradox, humor, and change. There is no problem, never was, never will be. Release your struggle, let go of your mind, throw away your concerns, and relax into the world.

Dan Millman, The Way of The Peaceful Warrior

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Definately stay away from things like exchange1, etc. as you are giving away information about the server/workstation. Stupidest name I ever saw was SeansWKNT4SP6. I didn't even have to run nmap to see what it was.

Anyways, some ideas:

- characters in your fav sci fi show (Babylon 5, Enterprise, DS9, Battlestar Galatica)
    - winners of Best Picture Awards
    - fav artists/bands
    - Simpson/Futurama/The Family Guy/South Park/etc. characters.
    - towns/cities/countries'
    - fav AO handles
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage