Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Really Hidden Files (for XP only)

Regal Making Handler
    1. Microsoft is trying to protect copyright law by moving some data to a secondary hidden folder. Most .mov and .wmv files will be moved here for this exact reason. Granted, all information in the temporary internet folder is copied into the IE tinhat folder, but notice that there are a lot of files in the Ie tinhat folder that are media based and do not exist in the temporary internet folder. This is called "Assisted copyright protection", so non-savvy users can't start pirating data from the web.
    Balls, Temp internet is hidden, full stop.

2. Backup. A lot of employess know how to delete their history trail, but not all of them know about registry editing and clearing a secondary Ie folder. Granted, it's a messy hack, but MS learned that employers wanted a feature that would backup the history/cookies/data of employees that surfed the web. Most common-day admins will expand upon this and backup that hidden folder every hour, since doing so won't hinder the box in a way that would make the user suspicious.
    So why is it still a feature of XP Home

And there you have it. No hidden MS agenda to send off that information. No hidden MS agenda to copy that information to their servers. For those of you who have ran an sniffer, you'll see this first hand. None of that data is sent out. Not weekly, not daily, not 'per reboot', and not when a program is in use.
    So why is it necessary to hack the registery to erase the paging files on reboot. Why is it that every dasta recovery job I have done has recovered stuf that people would rather not have anyone see? Why can I recover typed URLs? etc,etc.

I ware no hat tinfoil or other.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Balls, Temp internet is hidden, full stop.
    And? The majority of non-savvy people know how to turn on "show hidden files", due to how plain in site it is. It's also a common tactic that MANY network security websites teach to very basic users when it comes to removing spyware. The MAJORITY of normal windows xp users will know how to accomplish this task. Not nearly as many know (or will have the courage) how to hop into cmd.exe and do some direct file editing to uncover a hidden folder. (much less which file to edit).

So why is it still a feature of XP Home
    Why do buisness workstations still use Windows 2k instead of Windows 2k Server or Professional? For the same reason that a lot of companies will run Windows XP Home on the workstations of their normal users:

1. Advanced features like connecting remotely to other computers is not something a typical day-shift employee needs, and therefore it is useless to include that and many other admin-level applications and configurations that a user will never use.

2. Because of #1, having your users on a OS that is much more rapidly supported now and in the future means it is still going to cost money. Since they don't need the features to accomplish their daily tasks that the admin needs, Windows XP Home is cheaper for the company and still gets the job accomplished for the day-shifters.

Windows XP Home still has it because bossess/admins still want to keep track of day-shift employees. That is why it is still in Windows XP Home.

So why is it necessary to hack the registery to erase the paging files on reboot. Why is it that every dasta recovery job I have done has recovered stuf that people would rather not have anyone see? Why can I recover typed URLs? etc,etc.
    I already explained this in my origonal post, so just go back and read the reason #2 of my first post in this thread.

I ware no hat tinfoil or other.
    So what were you trying to accomplish here?
    \"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.\"
    - Charles Darwin

Telling a fellow AO Newbie to visit the AO FAQ is not bad, right?

beyond, welcome to AO!

This thread is actually way too old (check the flashy thing, if it flashes, it's way too old)...

Please visit the AO FAQ HerE for more introduction!

Yo!
    guardian alpha,

Hi!

Telling a fellow AO Newbie to visit the AO FAQ is not bad, right?

I think it’s a nicer way than telling, “OMFGDON0T POST!!!11. Not "I recommend you not posting".

Another point, the last post before beyond’s post was posted 04-16-2003 11:04 PM, and a reply after 22 months like

nice....several gigz cleaned now,and ill sleep alittle better....maybe
    could use a little AO FAQ reading.

The thread helped him, yeah, so as the AO FAQ could help him more.

Yo!
    \"Life without FREEDOM is no life at all\". - William Wallace
    MyhomE MyboX StealtH (loop n. see loop.)
    http://www.geocities.com/sebeneleben/SOTBMulti.gif

Another point, the last post before beyond’s post was posted 04-16-2003 11:04 PM, and a reply after 22 months like could use a little AO FAQ reading
    Why? Because he wanted to talk about how much the topic helped him? Because he has to say somethign relevant to the origonal topic and didn't want to start a fresh one just to report how well it worked?

You all badger new people for not searching AO before asking questions, but yet when they try to continue a thread that they found by searching, you neg them. Why? What would be the point in opening up a new thread that has to link to an entirley seperate thread before he can even discuss what he wants? ESPECIALLY when he can just continue a thread that already exists on a topic that is exactally what he wants to talk about.

Forget how old a thread is. Relevance is relevance is relevance. Can you honestly tell me that you want all old thread information to become outdated? So that when you tell them to search the forums for their answers, they discover 2-3 years old worth of information that may/may not be valid and up to date, without a hint that the information MAY be updated but never brought to light?

And scratch, the FAQ doesn't even get close to recommending people NOT post in old threads. It says to keep in mind how old the thread is. This is because the information may be so old that no one remembers anything about it, and thus you may not get a reply.
    \"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.\"
    - Charles Darwin

Regal Making Handler
    So what were you trying to accomplish here?
    Devils Advocate mostly

Why do business workstations still use Windows 2k instead of Windows 2k Server or Professional
    I would hazard a quess that 2k Server is totaly inapropriate for a workstation. However I understand your point of view. Three years ago I worked for a company that was still useing Win 95!!
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

guardian alpha,

Hi again!

And scratch, the FAQ doesn't even get close to recommending people NOT post in old threads. It says to keep in mind how old the thread is. This is because the information may be so old that no one remembers anything about it, and thus you may not get a reply.
    Right. That's why I said...

beyond, welcome to AO!

This thread is actually way too old (check the flashy thing, if it flashes, it's way too old)...

Please visit the AO FAQ HerE for more introduction!
    I did not say this
    “OMFGDON0T POST!!!11. Not "I recommend you not posting".
    ... or maybe you understand it this way, sorry... What the idea is, as a newbie like me, I've been introduced to reading the FAQ, the same way I am introducing to our felow newbie here, now, is there any other else that bothers you?

You miss my point, I guess...

Now, I should suggest you go get on the topic with jinxy

Peace!

Yo!
    \"Life without FREEDOM is no life at all\". - William Wallace
    MyhomE MyboX StealtH (loop n. see loop.)
    http://www.geocities.com/sebeneleben/SOTBMulti.gif

You do not reply to 22 month old topics to say it helped you. You give the user positive AP points, and describe why in the little text box that says "Description" or something of the sort. If you are to reply to such an old thread, it is not to say something 'relevant', but to expand upon the topic. Have we learned anything new from that post..or from any others? No. Going to www.microsuck.com will tell you everything that was already listed.

balls to you AO Newbies..don't screw with senior members, you just can't win.
    A_T
    Geek isn't just a four-letter word; it's a six-figure income.

Just few updates what i've seen.

You need not use the actual 8.3 names. Put the entire copied text between "" and you can use spaces in dos commands.

You can use the normal windows explorer, without editing any file to clean up the temporary files of any other user profile other than the one logged on to. you can see the temporary folders listed down like normal folders in other user profiles. check it out.

Also other 3rd party programs with folder browsing capabilities lists down these folders.

-Joseph

I am having problems

When I run Command it comes up
    C:\Docume~1\Admini~1>
    I copied and put the address on notepad that was
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet File
    What do I need to type and when I type the edit ini it says to type minus and after the = there is none of that Please help

Question

Quote Originally Posted by scooper33 View Post
    When I run Command it comes up
    C:\Docume~1\Admini~1>
    I copied and put the address on notepad that was
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet File
    What do I need to type and when I type the edit ini it says to type minus and after the = there is none of that Please help
    Ok once you open the .ini file you need to press the Down Arrow Once

then at the start of that 2nd line you need to put a - at the very start of the line and at the end of the line it will have a = put a space and then put another -

Then once that is done save the file