Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Really Hidden Files (for XP only)

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    I don't know shot_gun_stu.

I have 2 different XP Pro systems and in both cases my Temporary Internet Files folder contained thousands of files- mainly cookies- until I followed these instructions.

I believe the main point is that there is a difference between the standard known temporary internet files- which you can set the max size of and empty at will, and the information kept in this secret hidden file that seems to remain hidden even after you unhide everything.

Tony

After further investigation I have just realised that it wasn't listed for myself under ‘docs and settings\my username\local settings\temp internet files’, but it was for other users, therefore I logged on as another user with administrator privileges and there it was, listed under my username: -

Docs and Settings\my username\Local Settings\Temp Internet Files\content ie5\
    Stay cool, hang loose and admit nothing

I am still trying to figure out how to delete/edit the Index.dat file listed there. It contains information about web addys you have visited in the past. Any sugguestions/comments would be helpfull.
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    While I consider it an invasion of privacy and a mistake on Microsoft's part I have not tried to delete it. I have assumed that removing it would disable IE in some way or that it would just be re-created next time you start IE.

Cross:

Login with different admin account. You can then delete the file because it won't be in use.

So far, that is the only way I have figured out how to delete it.

EDIT: I think IE will just recreate the file. I did it a while back and never ran into problems.

Hmm...it seems to me that all the files in all those directories that were "revealed" by this method were simply standard web-cache files. There weren't any files in my directory that hadn't been downloaded from websites I had visited since the last time I used "Delete all offline files". The only thing I'm curious about is the index.dat file. This may contain some more info than I'd like to keep around. From a quick Google search, I found at least one company is making money off of these curious .dat files:

http://www.acesoft.net/delete_index.dat_files.htm
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

The .dat file does recreate itself,however there is a solution. http://www.webattack.com/get/spider.shtml
    Spider.

"(for XP only)"
    Yeah i just looked, this one only covers 9x/NT/ME/2K/. But alot of software for 9x/NT/ME/2K/ also works in XP. Worth a shot.

Very interesting post -- thanks cross. I found 58.8 Meg of junk in the Content.IE5 folder on my computer. I got it down to 7.22 Meg by using IE's Internet Tools | Delete Files & Delete Cookies -- something I do fairly frequently anyway.

Still, 7 Meg of space on my hard disk hijacked by M$ is more than a little annoying. IE is the standard in my company, and setting up RAM disks to resolve this problem is a tad more support-intensive than I care to take on.

Somehow M$ always wins, even in the battle over hardware resources.

Director

Thumbs up Reply

Great post. I logged on as another Admin and found alot more than I thought would be there. Thanks for clearing up some of my space...

Thats not spying...it just takes all the files that were originally in the Temp. file and places them into the Content.IE5 folder. Does microsoft check that folder???....i dunno...but all that add a minus here and add a minus there does is put all those Temp. Files into the Content File. Sorry to ruin all the hype :-/

Calvin