Thread: Really Hidden Files (for XP only)

Hybrid View

Really Hidden Files (for XP only)

Microsoft's Really Hidden Files: Updated Specifically for XP:

http://www.****microsoft.com has a nice little tut on Microsofts Really Hidden Files which shows you how to find cached information stored about you and what your doing on your win95/98 box. Unfortunately, they do not tell you about XP, where they have changed everything around a little. This TUT is to show you where this information is stored on XP and how to get rid of it!

Before you begin:

Please ensure that you have done the following:
    You are log 'd on as Administrator (or the first user created during setup)
    You have set the XP theme to Classic (might work otherwise, didn't test)

1. double click my computer
    2. double click your primary drive (i.e. C )
    3. click Tools on the menu
    4. select Folder Options
    5. select View
    6. make sure Show Hidden files and folders is Selected
    7. Uncheck the box next to "Hide protected operating system files(Recommended)
    8. click Apply
    9. Click OK
    10. double click Documents and Settings
    11. Double click desired User (you can do this for each individual user, each has their own cache)
    12. Double click Local Settings
    13. Double Click Temporary Internet Files
    14. Highlight the Address in the Address bar, copy it, put it in a TextPad (notepad)

This next part is a little tricky. You will need to open a Command prompt, click Start, Run, type Command, Press OK
    You need to get dos to the same folder you browsed to, but in order to do that, you must Truncate the address so that Dos can understand it. For example, if my username were pothead, it would look like this:
    C:\Docume~1\pothead\LocalS~1\Tempor~1
    or if it were winbitazz it would look like this:
    C:\Docume~1\winbit~1\LocalS~1\Tempor~1
    Anything over 8 chars is truncated with a ~1, (this of course means that anything over 8 chars will have the first six chars showing followed by a '~1' makeing up 8 chars, for example georgecarlin.txt would be truncated to george~1.txt> Its called 8.3 filenameing system.) you may have to play with it a few minutes as not all systems and usernames are the same, sorry

15. Type: Edit desktop.ini
    16. Once desktop.ini opens, push the down arrow once, putting your cursor on the second line. Put a minus sign at the beginning of this line. Also add a minus sign immediately after the =
    17. Click File, Save
    18. Click back to your Windows Explorer
    19. Hit the Back button
    20. double click Temporary Internet Files (yes i know you were just there)
    21. A new folder should have appeared, Content.IE5. double click it
    22. explore all the files, and see what Microsoft has been collecting about you

Side Note: I feel this comes under Personal Security, not to metion a real waste of space! I had 1.5 gigs in there and I only have a 6 gig drive! This is not really fair from a consumer point of view, seems they want your drive to fill up so you must upgrade it.... If anyone feels this should not be posted, let me know and I will delete it, no neg points needed.....
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

I am having problems

When I run Command it comes up
    C:\Docume~1\Admini~1>
    I copied and put the address on notepad that was
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet File
    What do I need to type and when I type the edit ini it says to type minus and after the = there is none of that Please help

Question

Quote Originally Posted by scooper33 View Post
    When I run Command it comes up
    C:\Docume~1\Admini~1>
    I copied and put the address on notepad that was
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet File
    What do I need to type and when I type the edit ini it says to type minus and after the = there is none of that Please help
    Ok once you open the .ini file you need to press the Down Arrow Once

then at the start of that 2nd line you need to put a - at the very start of the line and at the end of the line it will have a = put a space and then put another -

Then once that is done save the file

just download ccleaner. its fast and effective, they're always updating it too. heres the link http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Wow, blast from the past lol.
    Thanks for the tip chaosclown, I'll check it out. Always looking for good utilities and tools for my collection
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

yeah lol. that whole site has a lot of very good utilities, and most of em are all free. i go there for my graphics driver updates