Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Really Hidden Files (for XP only)

Old Fart
    Ive been using shareware called Total Commander (formerly Windows Commander) as a file manager for several years now and this thread highlights one of the reasons why. In the options menu of TC you can set it to display hidden files....one tic and all is revealed. Take into consideration all the other features (FTP client, compression/decompression, etc.) and suddenly you find yourself never wanting (or needing) to open windows explorer again. If you want to see for yourselves, head over to www.ghisler.com and give it a spin around the HD.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

FYI... Not sure about 95 but it works with 95... if you want to go to the folder 'My Documents' you can also do this:
    cd "my documents"
    rather than
    cd mydocu~1

Just use the quotes.
    Another FYI-

In Win2k and XP... you can use

cd My*

to pull the first My whatever folder

or cd pro*

to pull the program files folder

If you have other folders that come first... you will have to add extra letters.
    What I mean by that... is

If you have 2 folders that start with pro

problems
    programs

using the cd pro* will pull c:\problems instead of c:\program files

Great post cross. It sure came in handy reclaiming disk space.

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    On my home computer I came up with about 300Mb of junk.

From what I can see it is mostly just that though- junk! Its a bunch of images from banner ads and graphics from buttons. I don't see any personal information or anything of value.

Has anyone found a specific file that contains personal info or any sensitive information? I'm not saying that it is OK as long as there is no personal info- it is still wrong that there is a 300+ Mb file on my hard drive containing junk that remains hidden even after I unhide all system files.

I'm just curious if anyone has found information buried in this junk that contains personal data or sensitive data like credit card numbers.

My Content.IE5 (which is weird, why is it IE5 when IE6 is out and I installed it??) was not visable, but I ran through and did that little "edit" and found that my IE folder was only 1.23MB in size.

So with people saying they had 1.5GB in temp files and such, I have to ask (not trying to make anyone sound stupid) if people are emptying their cache folder for Internet Explorer?

More and more that's all this seems like, is a "physical" way of deleting files out of a cache folder.
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

I just want to say that i have my Internet Explorer Settings set to like 10 megs maximum. The thing was, most of the files in my folder were media clips, a lot of my joke vids that I have burned over the past month and such, not all cookies. I dont use any kind of extra programs to clear any of my stuff, but still, 1.5 gigs when I told IE only 10 megs? I dont think this is the same folder IE Settings are referring to..... although mabey I am wrong? There is another Temp Internet Files folder somewhere else that isn't hidden, I think that's what you guys keep talking about.
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Well this is very good trick but doesnot works on win xp home edition because you cannot copy the addresses to the notepad and if you cant copy those to notepad there is no way you are going to see anything in Edit desktop.ini because there is nothing gonna be in there, so I don't know any other way around to edit those files. I tried to open the same files through notepad but when you click on temporary internet files it prompts you with IE5 folder and when I clicked on it, guess what son of a bitch denying me access to this folder. So in short I guess all xp users have to compromise with their privacy untill some one finds any other way to safely romove those files so Microsoft can't see anything anymore.
    Nice find though cross.

Viper, I have windows xp home edition, it worked for me, it doesnt matter if you cant copy the address to notepad, you can just as easily type it in manually, and there is 2 lines in the edit desktop, or at least for me there is. If its denying you access to the folder, maybe your username is a limited account, might wanna look into that under users.
    Mafia = Organized Crime
    Government = Unorganized Crime

\/IP3R :
    In your post it seems like you are trying to edit desktop.ini with notepad. You need to browse to that folder in DOS, and edit it with the Edit command. This should bypass any problems with access to that file. Let me know how it turns out.
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Thanks cross, the problem was that I was running dos from accessories and not from run. I got it now thanks and thankyou suberme for your tip too.