Thread: snort and hp-ux

snort and hp-ux

I know everyone and their brother and sister are probably on or converting to Linux, but we are still mainly an hpux shop... @150 servers.

My question is, and I could not find a related on this site, has anyone had experience running snort on hpux? We are facing an audit soon, and while HP has their own host based IDS, that being IDS 9000, we also need to get a network IDS, (not a network scanner -DOH- verbage, verbage) going, so would snort work me'ah? Also IDS 9000 has been quite buggy in our testing. I am just getting into snort as I feverishly type this, so any wisdom anyone could offer would be great.

Thanks in advance.

\"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?\"
    -Juvenal

we also need to get a network scanner going, so would snort work me'ah?
    a network scanner? when i hear scanner, i think of nmap (port scanner/mapper)- but of course you already know this? i'm confused... snort is great (besides the whole whitespace thingy ask thehorse13...) www.snort.org - again , i didn't understand the original question... please restate
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

Just edited my original question. The 'newbiness' shining through on that one. That or my lack of caffeine right now. I did see on snort's site that it does 'stealth' port scanning? I'm sure I will learn that in the hefty guide I just printed.
    \"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?\"
    -Juvenal

yeah, i think snort is great... the only drawback that i can see of it is -> http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=241636

besides that, i think it's a great FREE product (for those of us with no money ) anyway- you seem to have things under control now btw- i've never run it under HPUX (ha, haven't played with an HP since the Apollo(s))
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...