Thread: Longhorn's New Filesystem (WinFS)

The Iceman Cometh

Longhorn's New Filesystem (WinFS)

I know there's been a lot of hype about not only Longhorn, but also about Microsoft's new filesystem (which is being implemented in Yukon, the new version of SQL Server as well as in Microsoft's new operating system). CNET just published an article discussing some of the basics about the filesystem:

WinFS introduces new data-storage capabilities intended to make it much easier to find files on your PC--for example, two new features called Windows Storage Full-Text Index and Windows Future Storage Services aim to vastly improve Windows searching. The new Longhorn search dialog gets rid of Windows XP's multiple options (file type, location, hidden documents, and so on) and simply asks, "What are you looking for?" Longhorn provides examples of search queries you can enter, such as "What is a firewall?" or "Pictures from John."
    Read the whole article here.

What do you guys think? Once Longhorn's released, are going to switch to the new, untested filesystem, or stick with NTFS (which has been tried and tested)?

AJ

being the beta tester that I am, I will have to try out the new file system and see if it is any faster than NTFS and if it has issues. If all is well, then I will convert my systems over to it. But of course if it doesn't work out well, back to my Windows XP hard drive image... Ghost is good, =)
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

Old Fart
    Originally posted here by AciDriveHB
    being the beta tester that I am, I will have to try out the new file system and see if it is any faster than NTFS and if it has issues. If all is well, then I will convert my systems over to it. But of course if it doesn't work out well, back to my Windows XP hard drive image... Ghost is good, =)
    I couldn't have said it any better myself!
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

My system drive is currently NTFS... but my back-up drive is FAT32 (although there is a convert scheduled for next reboot).... I like NTFS.... if the new FS has as many improvements over NTFS as NTFS had over FAT32.. i'll definately go with it.

Right now however I'd be really curious to see if they've done something about the Alternate Data Stream....which IMHO is the biggest NTFS flaw.

I'm with the majority of you. I feel it's always best to at least try out a new file system in the event that it becomes the next big thing (FAT to NTFS, if you will). Experience never hurt anyone.
    http://members.cox.net/blankman71/BlankNUBanner.gif
    BlankCo INC., Supplying Nebraska With Office Linebackers Since January 2003
    \"That\'ll teach you to whistle on the Sabbath!\" - Homer Simpson

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    Agreed.

I wouldn't be the one to roll it out to 1000+ desktops the week it comes out, but I will use it on my home network in a heartbeat. I like to have a variety of operating systems and applications for my own testing and evaluation purposes and just to be familiar with what is out there.

It sounds nice- at least that search function part. I don't like the XP system where it first wants to know what type of search you want to do. I generally just pick the All Files and Folders option so I can use the one that most closely resembles the file search I am used to.