Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SuSE

SuSE

I installed SuSE 8.1 today and when i got it all set up it asked me to configure my mouse and choose the appropriate one.... So i chose the correct mouse,and it worked fine the whole session,however, when i rebooted and logged in the next time i couldnt move my mouse. I suppose it forgot to save my settings. I know i chose the appropriate mouse because mine was on the list. Does anyone know how i can reconfigure my mouse settings manually, because i am unable to navigate to anything as of yet. I tried using alt+f2 to get a run menu but it didnt work. ( A friend told me if i was using KDE, that would pop up a run command from which i could type Xconfigurator) This is only my second installation of SuSE so im not even sure. Can anyone tell me what im doing wrong and how i might go about fixing this?

Banned
    dublix: I'm not sure at what point you're trying to get a command prompt (at the graphical login?), but alt-F2 in KDE should indeed give you a run menu. You could also try ctrl-alt-f2 for a command prompt, where you could run xf86config. Before you do that: couldn't you try and run SuSE in the safe mode and configure your mouse from there?

i run suse 8.1 and my mouse freaks out sometimes when i log in too.

if you can get into yast2 you can go through the mouse configure program using only the keyboard, that usually clears it up. or else you're just going to have to reboot.

good luck!
    U suk at teh intuhnet1!!1!1one

I am for sure in KDE 3.0, but F2 refuses to pull up anything. I ran safe mode and chose the appropriate settings in xf86config, but the cursor still won't budge.I was unable to get to the yast2 window to try it in there. One thing i noticed while doing all this is that alot of the keys on my keyboard are mixed up when i press y it goes z and some other keys are mixed up, this might be why F2 won't work. With this all coupled together would it be wise for me to reinstall? Im sure you know more than i do on this so......

just boot in the shell and execute (as root) /usr/X11R6/bin/xf86config, reconfigure your x-server (including the mouse) and reboot. hope that'll work on suse too

sounds like something happened and went wrong during install, id recommend reinstalling, reformat and everything, then when you go to install again, make sure as your doing the install that every setting is correct, also, what kinda PC are you putting it on? and if this keeps happening just send me a PM or reply here and ill see what i can do, i love SuSe and anything i can do to help in someone using it im goin for lol, anyway let me know what kinda computer and ill grab my SuSe admin book and check it out for ya ok?

Yeah im using a Dell 2300-Intel Celeron 1.80GHz - 512MB Ram, Im dual booting with SuSE and XP.

hmmm, iv only dual booted with suSe once and it was with 98 SE, im thinking it was prolly a small error in the install that was missed and it decided to let ya know after it was done lol. try the reinstall and see if that helps, also make sure you do a test on the settiongs you pick.

http://www.suse.com

check there to, they have a list of things to help with the install and problems.

Its odd because about 4 or so months ago when i got SuSE i installed it on a dual boot with my XP and i had absolutely no problems.I was surfing the internet, mouse worked and everything. I think i'll curse the day i reinstalled that sucker ( of course i had to reinstall due to micosoft in the first place) lol. I just didnt ever reinstall it till now. Thanks for all the help guys. This might take awhile,lol.

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Huh gore, your not serious i hope. Reformat a linux box because the mouse settings were not saved???? This is not windows you know. Reformating linux will fix this, but its not the right way. Best thing is just get to a shell and type in sax2. That will configure the mouse in no time. But please, let me never hear again that you would need to format a linux box for a reason such as this.

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"