well i was doing my usual surfing and came across these articles one is entitled footprinting and it explains some ways how hackers crackers whatever you want to call them use to get info on servers to actualy compromising them the link is here it also explains what your logs should look like if these requests have been made to your server

Port 80 is the standard port for websites, and it can have a lot of different security issues. These holes can allow an attacker to gain either administrative access to the website, or even the web server itself. This second paper was written to help the average administrator and developer to have a better understanding of the types of threats that exist, along with how to detect them.

More Common Fingerprints
This section has examples of more common fingerprints used in exploitation of both web applications, and web servers. This section is not supposed to show you every possible fingerprint, but instead show you more ways an attacker can possibly get into your system, along with how an attackers presence could be masked. These signatures should pick up most of the remaining methods not spoken about in the first paper. This section also describes what each signature is used for, along with examples of it being used in an attack.
The other article is more about using telnet and the GET command while connected to port 80

I. Introduction

When people visit your website, certain information is passed from
the users web browser to your web server/script. This information
contains data such as what browser they are using, the last site
visited, the file they requested, and other information. This paper
was written to help you understand how an attacker can use these
information fields to exploit your web statistics software.
and the last is about unicode request's through a normal webbrowser also usefull for identifying directory traversal attacks against your server

Unicode Strings
Strings collected by fritz300 and cd

Below is a list of unicode strings created by 'cd' and fritz300. These strings can be executed in a browser to get into remote systems or certian strings can give you the ability to execute remote programs and etc. These strings are very usefull for IIS Hacking.