NTLMv2 uncrackable ??

Thread: NTLMv2 uncrackable ??

NTLMv2 uncrackable ??

hello, I'm trying to test the security of my network. Therefore I captured NTLM and NTLMv2 hashes from my network (with Cain&abel) and tried to crack them. The NTLM hashes were (easy) crackable, but the NTLMv2 hashes weren't.
    so, my question is: is it possible to brute-force NTLMv2 hashes, and , if yes, with which program ?? (I've already tried L0phtcrack, without succes).

greetz, André.

Just Another Geek

Re: NTLMv2 uncrackable ??

Originally posted here by André
    hello, I'm trying to test the security of my network. Therefore I captured NTLM and NTLMv2 hashes from my network (with Cain&abel) and tried to crack them. The NTLM hashes were (easy) crackable, but the NTLMv2 hashes weren't.
    so, my question is: is it possible to brute-force NTLMv2 hashes, and , if yes, with which program ?? (I've already tried L0phtcrack, without succes).

greetz, André.
    The NTLMv2 hashes are real MD5 hashes (NTLM uses DES encryption). The hashes are build from the unicode password, so there are way more variations then the ordinairy NTLM. You should be able to brute force this but it will take about twice the age of the universe to do it. You probably have more luck using a dictionary attack.

anything is brute-forceable, IF you have the time and computing power... i havn't tried NTLMv2 yet but then again i just don't have the urge to try it.