Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dutch gouvernment takes on 'economical hackers'

Hi mom!

Dutch gouvernment takes on 'economical hackers'

Last week, Dutch gouvernment agreed on a law-proposal that specifies 'economical hacking.' One will be punishable by law if one commits computer crimes with the intention to make money of off it (by forging electronic bank transfers, for example).

Maximum sentences: four years in prison or a 45,000 euro fine.

Right now, these 'economical hackers' are punished through the ordinairy computer-laws (usually needs something form of hardware or data damage) or the traditional laws that state 'stealing money is wrong' ( ).

Sources:
    Planet Internet / Multimedia (in dutch)
    Press release Dutch The ministry of General Affairs (pdf, also in dutch)
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

Isn't fraud still fraud, no matter what device you use to attempt to pull it off? I'm sort of confused by this... How stiff are the current penalties and is this new set off penalties in line with the previous?
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Well.. kind-a KorpDeath,

The dutch law system isn't well equiped in the digital-crimes section..
    With the European uninon knocking on the door some laws are added to comply to international laws..

Thx for the info, guus..

Now atleast I know I got something to show if I get ripped of on Ebay, marktplaats.nl or something. . . (or doesn't that count??)
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Banned
    KorpDeath: the problem with law in most European countries is that there are no specific hacking-laws yet, meaning that courts have to base themselves on 'regular' laws (ie you'll get the fines used to punish burglars for breaking into a computer system).

Untill recently, The Netherlands only had a general 'hacking'-law, making it illegal to break into a system or cause damage to it. 'Economical hacking' doesn't necessarely involve breaking into another system, so the only 'crime' committed was the actual stealing of money for example. Untill now.

Jinx: if people are able to sell 25grm of some of holland's finest on marktplaats.nl, then people will definatly get away with screwing you because of some mobile phone.
    Bleh.

Kwiep
    SickDwarf, you should know by now I own all holland's finest already. That economical thing law came just at he right time. Other people cann't steal my monopoly now .

Ow frack, now I'll loose my Rabobank telebankieren fast-money-to-my-bankaccount crack .
    Double Dutch

Neel: dude..... guy... fellow dutchy..... how many times do I have to tell you.... holland's finest is mine. btw, that economical thing is only related to computer hackin, which has nothing to do with holland's finest..... that reminds me, why did I ever bring this into this topic.... uuhhmm

never mind.
    Bleh.

Hi mom!
    KorpDeath: What Negative said

SickD / Neel: I always thought Holland's Finest wasn't 'hakked', but cut.... my mistake
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

Kwiep
    Well, first you cut it of the plant, then you have to do some stuff to be able to put it into the eventual joint... Everybody has his own style, my holland's finest (MINE !!!) can be bought hakked (the blue package) or any other way (green red pink black)... It's pretty much up to yourself...
    I'm still a bit worried about my telebankieren ...
    Double Dutch

Hi mom!
    Don't worry about that. With this new law people which hack, hak or cut your online bank transfers will be punished now (and see, we're back on topic).