Thread: outlook or my server?

outlook or my server?

Ok, probably posting in the wrong section since this isn't really a much of a security question but fits more into the miscellaneous side of things....

We host several companies mail using Imail 7.x. This is running on a Windows 2000 dual processor machine, PII 400MHz I think with somewhere around 384MB of Memory. Connected to the internet with a 768Kb frac T-1. When some of the clients pull mail from our server they seem to get more than one copy of their messages. This happens in both outlook and outlook express across several platforms, e.g. Win 98, Win 2k, Win XP, etc. Now happens most with clients that have a large amount of messages on the server. If they had 100 messages when they came in it would go out and grab them once, then if the client hit the send/recieve button again it would grab some of them a second time. Not all just some of the latest ones. So I think that it's not clearing out all their old emails by the time they hit the send/recieve button again. Now I was running Imail 6.x before and so I contacted Imail... They told me I had to upgrade before they could help me, so I did and it still does the same thing. I emailed again and didn't get any useful information out of them. Anyway what I was wondering was if any of you had heard of this happening with Exchange or another mail server. Or if this could possibly be an Outlook/Outlook Express thing. Clients have been using Outlook Express 5.0+ and Outlook 2000 or newer.

Thanks,
    Greg

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    I haven't experienced that exact same thing, but I have seen something similar.

When pulling POP3 mail from a server sometimes I have encountered a message that is corrupted. My Outlook client may download 10, 20 or 100 messages until it encounters the corrupt message and then it stops. When I would re-initiate the downloading it would start at the beginning downloading the same 10, 20 or 100 messages until it encountered the corrupt message again.

It may be possible that if these people have a lot of messages and are hitting send / receive before the process is done that it may start at the beginning and download the same messages again- although that seems a little far-fetched.

Not much help, but that is what I have seen.

That's kinda what I am thinking, I told them not to hit the button in the morning. I also set their automatic send/recieve to wait for 5 minutes instead of 2...

Greg

I have only experianced this when I select the option of leaving mail on the server. Then everytime I recheck it with outlook I get copies of old msgs as new until I delete them. I have only had this problem with pop3 accts.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    -D
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

These are pop3 accounts, however they are not leaving a copy on the server.