AIM Question

Thread: AIM Question

AIM Question

Is it possible to write a script/program of some kind to automatically send you an email when someone IM's you?

For example, you put up an away message at home. Then if someone IM's you it will automatically send what they IM'd you to your email address. Then no matter where you are you can check your email and see what people are saying to you.

This isn't very useful, but I just wanted to be able to do that. I got all excited and then realized I didn't know how to program.

Mark

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    I think it may be technically possible but the end result would hardly be worth the time and effort.

I don't know about you, but most of my IM'ing is meaningless drivel with friends and family about who's gonna win the playoffs and what time Uncle Ted's birthday party is this weekend- nothing Earth-shattering that would be worth hours of coding.

It would be much simpler to just set your away message to say "Hi. I'm away from my computer. If this is of even remote importance please email your message to me at me@myisp.com"

Hmm, you make a good point. Well scratch that off the to do list.

If I have any more brilliant ideas I'll let y'all know.

Mark

i believe there are places out there that cover this topic, i remember there being a site that did that, www.imforwards.com or something along those lines, but that might not be the exact site. search google and im sure youll find something