Thread: Hard Drive Error

Question Hard Drive Error

Quite a while back I started the install of open BSD and did all my disk formatting in the setup program. After the setup I just restarted my computer and went into windos and have just left the BSD drive alone. Today, I went to try and format the drive with Partition Magic 7.0 and got error #108 and the tech support website seems to be down. Does anyone here have any suggestions as to what I should do to get my drive working again?
    Thanx
    -IB6UB9

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    There are three possible reasons for error 108 so depending on what additional information it gave will determine the problem. Hope this helps.

From Partition Magic's Site:

Solution: Error 108\Error 8108 Unexpected Error: Failed to find drive in internal table.

If you encounter this error when using PQBoot for Windows in Windows XP, make sure you are logging in to Windows with Administrator rights.

For all other situations, please send the following information to PowerQuest Technical Support:

- A Debug report. (For information on running a Debug report, see PowerQuest Solution PR163.)
    - A PARTINFO report. (For information on running a PARTINFO report, see PowerQuest Solution PR94.)
    - The information outlined in PowerQuest Solution PR164, "Information Needed for a Trouble Report."
    - (If you are running Windows Me) The VFNSTDBG.TXT file located in C:\Program Files\PowerQuest\PartitionMagic 6.0\Win9X\VFD.
    - A copy of the contents of the master boot record captured with WRPROG.EXE. (For information on using WRPROG, see PowerQuest Solution PR1391.)

Problem Description:
    Error "Unexpected Error: Failed to find drive in the internal table"
    Error 108
    Error 8108
    PQBoot for Windows crashes in Windows XP and tries to send a report to Microsoft.
    Solution: Error 108 (Bonus Head)

NOTE: For information on Error 108 without the Bonus Head, see solution PR186.
    Please send a partinfo report to Technical support.

Problem Description:
    Error 108 Partition doesn't end at end of cylinder
    Error 108
    Bonus Head

Problem Environment:
    PartitionMagic
    PartitionMagic Pro
    Drive Image
    Drive Image Pro
    Drive Copy
    VolumeManager
    ServerMagic
    Server Image
    Solution: Error 108 (Non Bonus Head)

NOTE: For Information about Error 108 Bonus Head error, see solution Error 108.
    Cause: Many operating systems won't have a problem with this error and will work with the drive normally. For PartitionMagic / ServerMagic / VolumeManager, however, this error can pose a problem, so the error is flagged.

There are several possible causes of this error. The first is a translation error. This is caused when the translation under which a partition was created has changed, and the new translation doesn't match the old.

The second is if a drive overlay isn't loading properly before the PowerQuest program is executed. This will be the case most often when you are booting directly to a floppy. You will need to allow the overlay to load before the floppy does.

The third is a legitimate change in the head or sector value at the end of a partition.
    Solution: Run a PartInfo and submit it to PowerQuest Technical Support. (For more information, see Running a PartitionInfo.)
    The PartInfo report helps PowerQuest Technical Support diagnose the cause of the Error 108 and recommend an appropriate course of action.

Problem Description:
    Error 108 Partition doesn't end at end of cylinder
    Error 108

Problem Environment:
    PartitionMagic
    PartitionMagic Pro
    Drive Image
    Drive Image Pro
    VolumeManager
    ServerMagic
    Server Image
    DriveCopy
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage