Hashing Javascript

Thread: Hashing Javascript

Lightbulb Hashing Javascript

hi guys,

this might seem an unusual post, but i have been asked to crack a password, but its written in javascript and because of my lack of knowledge in this area, i was hoping if anyone could help.

i googled around and didnt find anything useful.

I need the password so if anyone figured it out can they pm me with it. (its a game and i cant say for what) if you open it in notepad or a text editor it might be easier to read it with word wrap off
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

Just Another Geek

Re: Hashing Javascript

Originally posted here by Trust_Not_123
    hi guys,

this might seem an unusual post, but i have been asked to crack a password, but its written in javascript and because of my lack of knowledge in this area, i was hoping if anyone could help.

i googled around and didnt find anything useful.

I need the password so if anyone figured it out can they pm me with it. (its a game and i cant say for what) if you open it in notepad or a text editor it might be easier to read it with word wrap off
    Hehehe. This looks like an hackers challenge type of question. You are not trying to cheat are you?!? The whole point of these challenges is to learn. What will you learn if we just told you the answer?

It didn't take me very long to find it. I took several approaches, but I found one of them to be the easiest.

A brief overview of my solution is - "Why should I do the work?". This isn't targeted at you, but rather at this javascript itself. It is weak, so you should go and learn a little bit of Javascript to see how easy this problem really is. Infact, going through the commands alphabetically would help you early on... Another hint - don't be afraid to play with the code a little, along with analyzing it.

Good luck!

-Tim_axe

How the script works:
    the password is 4 (for (x=1; x<6; x++)) letters?, made up from the variable "texts (5d4v129v3387ff76)".
    meaning it could be anything like 5vff or 74d1
    Once you tell the script this combination it directs you to for example 74d1.php and you are in.

.sig - There never was a .sig?
    I own a Schneider EuroPC with MS-Dos 3.3 and it works.

A little experimentation shows that the easiest way to solve it is by modifying the code to tell you the password, then running the modified code

as it needs to compute the password anyway to check if you have it right, you can just take the piece of code that works out the correct password and isolate it.

"45820"
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...