Need Non-Win32 Dialup ?

Thread: Need Non-Win32 Dialup ?

Need Non-Win32 Dialup ?

Hey guys/gals,

-> I've decided that i need to get a dialup account... (i'm usually online while at work (t1)) now most of the ISP(s) around my area all use their own software to connect online- and of course it's all for windows? i'm sort of stuck -> so my question is (for those linux/bsd users) what ISP(s) do you use , and maybe they offer service in my area... couldn't find anything on google (still looking)...

/edit #1 -> copper.net
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

most ISP's don't realy use their own software..

they use a reghacked version of IE (with their name in the window title) and a fancy dialin tool..

usualy you can just dialin without the tools from any windows/linux/unix/mac box as long as you know the phone number and login details !!

sorry I couldn't be of more help to ya..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Um, I've used mainly local ISP's that sub through larger backbones. . .the locals provide everything I've needed to connect to the net w/ FBSD. . .but I've also tried ISPanywhere, and that seemed to work fine for me,
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

thanx guys... i had no clue- i though that they may have had their own protocol like AOL (TOC/OSCAR) or something... that's cool- i guess i could just ask the sales rep? anyway- thanx again...
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

AOL is the only provider I know using a propriatary soft.
    As a personnal feedback the only challenge was to set the PPP connection to the ISP.

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/doc.../PPP-HOWTO.pdf
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]

woots

I used to use dial-up when using RedHat or BeOS, and the best thing for me was to use an external modem with whatever local service i could find. If you just subscribe to *kansas city online* or something like that, they can just give you the correct way to enter in your login... i.e. KCOL\yourusername or something, and their dns servers and dialup numbers. Local internet is usually cheaper (by about 5 or 10 bucks a month) and provides just as good of a service. IF you don't have local internet, Earthlink works, and their format is ELN\yourusername. for msn it's similar, but they are getting all AOL-ish now, so I'm not sure if it still works..

anyway, hope this helps
    i\'m starting to think that i\'m bound to always be the first guy on the second page of the thread.

You should be able to connect with most isp's that don't require you to install any software, just straight ppp. Run the command kppp and you should get a dial-up dialoge box and you can enter the settings for your isp there.

PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com