DNS or SMTP
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: DNS or SMTP

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    65

    DNS or SMTP

    Ok, we have a website that mails off notifications when somebody orders something. However lately the messages haven't been going through. This is on a win 2k server using IIS, latest service packs and everything. This is the error I get in the syslog under SMTPSVC

    Message delivery to the remote host domain 'adomainwehost.com' failed for the following reason: The connection was dropped by the remote host.

    We do host DNS for the domain it is trying to contact and all the records are correct. Anybody have any ideas on this? Let me know if you need more information.

    Thanks,
    Greg

  2. #2
    Super Moderator
    Know-it-All Master Beaver

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,914
    Hey Hey

    Sounds to me like a problem with SMTP on the remote host....

    Does the remote host have connectivity?? is it responding to ping?
    Is port 25 open on the remote host?? --> try telnet <remote host> 25
    Then depending on your responce to those...

    Do you have a firewall (filters) set-up on the remote host for SMTP?

    HT

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    65
    whoops almost forgot about this.

    Anyway, no there are no filters/firewalls currently in place
    Yes, it does respond to ping
    Telnet works on that port as well
    Also, other clients use this mail server as pop3/smtp and it seems to work just fine. It is just this IIS machine that seems to be having difficulties... Any other questions or ideas?

    Greg

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7

    SMTP Delivery error

    Just want to thank the experts in advance:

    I have 2 web servers running Windows Server 2003 Web Edition that are load balanced. They are on a DMZ along with another server, connected to a Cisco PIX firewall. On the web servers, I have the other server as the SMTP Smart host, so when my ASP pages send an email, the SMTP server is routed to the Smart host, which then routes the message to an Exchange Server on an internal subnet. One of the web servers works fine. Itís just the one that I recently installed Windows Updates. Ever since then every time I send an email, it gets stuck in the mailroot\Queue folder.

    I was getting this System event log error: Message delivery to the remote domain 'stroman.com' failed for the following reason: The connection was dropped by the remote host.

    This is my troubleshooting so far, but still no luck:
    1. Restarted IIS
    2. Uninstalled SMTP Windows Update (KB885881)
    3. Reinstalled IIS
    4. Uninstalled Lan Gaurd Network Security scanner (After I did this I no longer got the System event error mentioned above)
    5. Followed this http://www.experts-exchange.com/Web/..._20794824.html article and performed the troubleshooting defined in there. This guy is having the same problem almost exactly. However, his case was basically unresolved. I used telnet to send an email message, which the SMTP server didn't relay to the smart host. I also enabled SMTP logging, if anyone knows how to read it.

    Any help or ideas would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

    Bryan Moore
    Webmaster

  5. #5
    Just Another Geek
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Rotterdam, Netherlands
    Posts
    3,403
    Mooreb: You're adding to a 2 year old thread. Create your own.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

  6. #6
    Don't we usually get after them for creating new topics when old topics already exist? It looks like he actually searched for a related thread before starting a new one! They NEVER do that!

  7. #7
    Just Another Geek
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Rotterdam, Netherlands
    Posts
    3,403
    Well It's actually a whole new question with a different setup. Only the effect is the same.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7
    Sorry guys I didn't realize the date. But I did fix my problem, however it took me longer to fix it because I created another problem while trying to fix it. I installed Symantec anti-virus software on my web server to do a virus scan and I didn't disable it afterwards. After I scanned and it came up clean, I reinstalled IIS. Then I noticed that the something had the emails in the mailroot\queue folder locked. It wasn't until I disabled the Anti-virus software that everything started working again.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 Security News

     Patches

       Security Trends

         How-To

           Buying Guides