Thread: innocent questions help

innocent questions help

Hello guys,

there are some questions, can any one tell

1-how screen saver are made
    2-what is psudocode
    3-what is the difference between digital monitor and analog monitor
    4-What is different between between win2k, winnt & win200
    5-What is difference between DOS operating system and DOS of windows(built in).

1. Dunno
    2. Im no coder, but when I was at Uni, pseudo was code hand-written (I suppose it doesnt have to be) in plain english (ie. incorrect from a syntax POV). You can quickly work out how the code should work, then you went back and entered the correct syntax when it came time for coding. But other coders may be able to elaborate
    3. ?
    4. Never worked with Win200, probably cause I was borin in 1978. All jokes aside, Win2k and Win2000 are the same. WIN2k and NT are different Window$ OS versions...
    5. DOS was a widely used OS that Windoze used torun on, and MS-DOS is basically a DOS emulator.

Here are some links for any future enquiries:

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

Pseudcode is instructions similar to coding statements. To design program logic to see if the logic of your idea will work out. Which later U can turn into a real program. It helps to design any program before U attempt to code it. This will save U lots of mistakes that U might have made while coding. And If something don't work in code, then pseucode can be use as a reference to see where U went wrong.

Display "What is your favorite OS? " on the screen.
               Enter data into OS_NAME.
               If OS_NAME is equal to "UNIX"
                     Display "You will like Linux." on the screen.
                      Display "You should give Linux a try!" on the screen.
                End if.
    this is if..else..else if logic.
    Pseucode is a good coder's handy tool in writing code.

Here is a site about monitors.

You can make your own screen-savers by simply useing some images and some type of program for clip-art. You could setup a slide show of some photos in the 'my pictures' folder which is like clip-art only slower and doesn't look as good. You could also use windows movie maker also and make movies with that and a cam.

Hit start, control panel, & you should see things to change sounds/appearances and windows movie maker should come with a OS such as XP. After you've made a cartoon in clip-art or a movie in movie maker... you should be able to browse for that file and set it as a screen saver.

And as for win2k and NT. The "2K" in win2k means 2000.

well as far i know, screensavers for windows can be built with pretty much any programming language u have with the right API. i do this using WIN32 api/ C/C++ which is reallly easy cos u have three predefined functions and u just have to supply the code to make it work the way u want. lots of people do it in VB and Delphi but those suck! no offense
    Lets stop Thinking and start Drinking!

United Kingdom: Bridlington
    Hi Punjabian, here's my 2 pence worth...............

1. not sure how to do a screensaver from scratch, but I have seen freeware that does it for just supply the image(S)......sorry you will have to do a google search...I was not interested and have no links.

2.Pseudocode is "imitation" (pseudo) programming script. As already explained it lets you walk through program logic and sort out problems before comitting to writing the program. It is usually written in a truncated form of English, that is reasonably understandable by non-programmers. It has the advantage that it is NOT dependent on the syntax of the programming language that you finally is a sort of "virtual" programming language. There are actually applications around that will turn it into "real" code.

3. This has already been answered.

4. First came Win NT (NT stands for "New Technology") This reached version 4.0, and was then replaced by Win 2000 (2K, where the "K" is the abbreviation of "Kilo" the Latin for thousand). If you open some of the more obscure little files with a script editor you will see it referred to as NT 5.0. Obviously Microsoft's marketing people changed the name before it was released.

5. In the old days there was DOS (Disk Operating System). This stood on its own, and was THE operating system. You got various utilities like Norton Commander to make it easier to use, otherwise you were restricted to the DOS command line.

The earlier versions of windows "rode on the back" of DOS, for example, to run Win 3.X you had to load DOS FIRST!, you then typed "win" to start windows. Then came Win 95-98-98se-Me. These all have DOS behind them, but it is opened in what is known as a "DOS Box", a pop-up window. Up to 98 you could also boot/re-boot in pure DOS. Windows was effectively a GUI (graphical user interface) that made DOS easier to use.

Win 2000 (2K) and XP are non-DOS based operating systems that have a sort of DOS emulation facility called the command line.

People will tell you that NT 4.0 is not DOS based..............can they then explain why there are four .bas files in the system32 folder?...........try "gorilla.bas" for example!.............they are wrong, but it is a long story as to why.

I hope that this helps?

EDIT: The "truncated form of English" that I mentioned above is called "Structured English"

Originally posted here by SoggyBottom

5. DOS was a widely used OS that Windoze used torun on, and MS-DOS is basically a DOS emulator.
    Just wanted to clarify. MS-DOS is the Microsoft Disk Operating system. It is not a DOS emulator. DOS itself was like Linux in that there were different distrobutions of it, be it they were smaller and much more similar. MS-DOS, PC-DOS, DR-DOS...... etc. The Command prompt in winNT, 2k and XP could be classified as more like a DOS Emulator, however MS DOS is not an emulator. It is it's own OS.
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

My favorite program for putting your own screen saver together (just using picutres) is webshots. You can download it from and then you can download up to 5 pictures a day from the gallery (there are some nice pics there). For some other pics that I like that I've loaded into webshots, go to and check out their free desktop backgrounds.

Just Another Geek
    Rotterdam, Netherlands
    Originally posted here by nihil
    People will tell you that NT 4.0 is not DOS based..............can they then explain why there are four .bas files in the system32 folder?...........try "gorilla.bas" for example!.............they are wrong, but it is a long story as to why.
    Because it has a basic interpreter and a couple of samples of basic code doesn't mean it's DOS based. Heck, even Linux has a basic interpreter, so does this mean Linux is DOS based? I think not.

But in a more strict sense every OS these days is a Disk Operating System. This is because they all boot and run from a disk. Even systems that boot from a flashcard are usually a dos because the flashcard will act like a regular disk. This is in sharp contrast to the real embedded systems which have there entire OS in ROM.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.