Thread: Windows Services and Ports

Exclamation Windows Services and Ports

Hello all

I am setting up a farm of servers and I was wondering if anyone knows of any definitive documentation on all of the services that come running on windows 2000 server and any ports that are open that can be closed. I've looked around the internet and cannot find anything good. I want to shut down as much as possible and want to know was is out there first. If you could help me out with this I would appreicate it.

Thanks

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Well that all depends on what services you chose to install during installation and what purpose the box has on your network. There are too many variables that you haven't provided.

Given what you have provided, here is what I would do:
    Go to www.sysinternals.com and download TCPView. This will show you what processes are running and what ports they are bound to. You can use this to identify services that you want to shutdown.

Hope this helps out.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

I know of no documentation (at least I've never seen any) that explicitly lists the open ports and such with a default install of W2K. However, thehorse13 is right, it all depends on what services are installed and running. thehorse13 has also given you a good start and some good info - I'll just add this - fport from Foundstone http://www.foundstone.com is also a utility (run from the command line) that will show you all of your open ports. I use this util all the time...
    - Maverick

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Before you bring any to production they should be scanned across all ports first and the farm should be scanned across all ports to all public addresses from outside the firewall. Any ports that are open that you don't _need_ open from either scan must be closed at either the firewall or the machine itself.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Heres a question for every one, what port does MSSQL server do its talking over with webservices. I'm being lazy and don't want to spend the day searching.

Originally posted here by bballad
    Heres a question for every one, what port does MSSQL server do its talking over with webservices. I'm being lazy and don't want to spend the day searching.

If you are running MSSQL Server then it will be listening on port 1433...

Check this link for more info:
    http://www.seifried.org/security/ports/1000/1433.html

Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Talking

Thanks guys You saved me an hour or so of work today that I can spend goofing off on the net I guess I should improve my mood.