Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinion On Hacking Exposed Book

try looking at www.bookpool.com
    Thats where I get most of my computer books and they are usually 40% less than retail.

10Ded
    [glowpurple]www.networksynapse.net[/glowpurple]

I just purchased the fourth edition last week. Seems to be a great read. I know the first addition was well written.

So I can see that this book is highly recommended so I am going to go buy it but before I do I want to ask something. In the older ones are they for like older versions of windows and linux and the new ones are more about windows ME and XP and newer versions of linux?

>Thanks!
    [glowpurple]NooNoo\'s [/glowpurple]

try http://firstandsecond.com it is cheapest !!!

killer boots.... well obviously older editions will cover older versions of windows in more detail - the 2nd edition won't for example cover XP

the 3rd ed.. does cover 95/98/ME - though how ME can ever be called an OS is beyond me as well as NT, 2K and a bit of XP. I would imagine that the 4th ed covers XP and 2k slightly better than 3rd ed. The 3rd ed also covers Unix in general (doesn't confine itself to one version of *nix) and Novell netware. There are quite a few other areas that the books cover e.g. network hacking and software hacking etc. I can scan the contents page (well 7 pages to be accurate) of the 3rd ed and send them to you if you like? PM me if you want them - but don't ask me to scan the book cos it's like 700pages of dense text

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

come on, we'll buy it together...

I's thinking to get the hacker's challenge and they've come up with 4th edition. .......
    grt.........
    I'll see if I can find it anywhere in Pakistan. Hey urdaddy, why don't we two visit the peshawar for the computer books. I've heard that there's a shop in peshawar saddar where one can find these newly published books. Any excuse?
    cheers mate,
    PakiBlue
    Life would have been alot easier if I had the source code!

Excellent book. I highly recommend it.
    \"Trying to outsmart a compiler defeats much of the purpose of using one.\" — Kernighan & Plauger, The Elements of Programming Style.

Hey, I read the first one and it's a great book so I guess the following editions will follow the lead. As for where you can get it for cheap, I found this page:
    http://www.campusi.com/bookFind/asp/...0035301853-FDD
    Definitely check it out, it gives you a comparison of different prices of the same book and even tells you about available coupons.
    Peace
    \"Great spirits always encounter strong opposition from mediocre minds.\"
    Albert Einstein

$7.95 on the bargin book shelf at Barnes and Noble, 1st edition.

-thebunny

Just to throw in my 2 cents, I think the Hacking exposed books are good as a collection of stuff that would otherwise take you a long time to find out on the web (if you don`t know what you are looking for). Nothing earth shattering in them though, but a good reference book nonetheless.

Anyone seen Foundstones Foundscan took? Its a decent bit of software and much faster then Internet Scanner from what I`ve seen.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes