Thread: Impending Chinese Hack Attack

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar

Impending Chinese Hack Attack

<< not intended to offend any Chinese AO'ers >>

I had already received this info through other connections, but I guess the NIPC accidentally posted this to a public site so it has made the news...

Chinese hacker groups are planning attacks on U.S.- and U.K.-based Web sites to protest the war in Iraq, the Department of Homeland Security warned in an alert that it unintentionally posted on a government Web site today.

MORE
    A planning session was scheduled for March 29. Supposedly there are indications that the cyber attacks would be broken into two groups with one group performing network vulnerability scans and the other group performing the actual attacks.

The anniversary of the collision of the U.S. surveillance plane and the Chinese fighter jet is April 1 so many believe the target date may be April 1 to mark the occasion.

Just something to be aware of and watch for suspicious behavior or traffic tomorrow and for the near future (as if you don't always watch for those things ).

And what's the point in them doing this? I hate when people view a country's views and think that they necessarilly reflect every member of that country, then act/talk on them.

Thanks for posting, nonetheless.

you have to wonder if this is some sort of April Fool's joke. After all, it's not illegal to make the government think that your doing something wrong.
    i\'m starting to think that i\'m bound to always be the first guy on the second page of the thread.

Originally posted here by sickyourIT
    this is some sort of April Fool's joke. After all, it's not illegal to make the government think that your doing something wrong.
    Anybody can do anything, as long it won't hurt other people.

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    If it were just a SecurityFocus article I might think April Fool's joke as well. But, I don't think the Homeland Security Department has that kind of sense of humor.

I got this information from the NIPC before they accidentally posted it to a public web site and had it make the news.

As with all of these sorts of espionage and intelligence gathering though, its never 100%. They just feel that whatever information they have presents a credible enough threat to be worth putting out a warning.