Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Merged: Use a firewall. Go to jail !! and State DMCA's Make NAT Illegal?

luckily here in GA, especially the northern atlanta area, there are afew isps that don't care about the number of pc's in your house..

speedfactory.net
    speakeasy.net (might not be available after the directv customers all switched and took up all their dslam slots)

The tech at speedfactory.net i spoke told me that they don't care, they actually sell NAT capable devices to use with their service. They also don't mind servers (mail, web, or game).

damnit, that came off soundin like an ad.. blah

Banned
    bah
    do they understand the type of preasure they would put on the current ipv4 protocalls
    unless they want to pay for companies with 100000000's of computers behind NAT to get ipv4 addys or force the intduction of ipv6 about 10 years early it wont get passed its just to unfeasable especially with the current shortage of ipv4 addys
    bah
    rioter

perhaps someone politicians family member might benefit from the adoption of ipv6???

or someone's a geek and thinks it's cool.. lol

Maybe Microsoft figures it's a really easy way to get customers to upgrade to newer operating systems.... I believe XP is the first one to have IPv6 support is it not?

Maybe Microsoft is bribing politicians..

Banned
    The Computers should be left to the hackers (used broadly) and the politicians should be left nothing.

do they understand the type of preasure they would put on the current ipv4 protocalls
    unless they want to pay for companies with 100000000's of computers behind NAT to get ipv4 addys or force the intduction of ipv6 about 10 years early it wont get passed
    Rioter: That is exactly what I am thinking! Its rediculous! We have the technology to make our current technolgy last a couple of years... why make everyone change their ways?

You are already paying for the bandwith... why can't you use it? If your PCs take up too much bandwith... thats good. That is what you are paying for. We all know that they cap our connections to only allow a certain amount of bandwith. If they only want to allow a certain amount of bandwith per connection, then they should change their allocated bandwith plan... not what you do with it. I have about 10 PCs on my home LAN... and I use about 10% at most of the bandwith that I pay for. What is wrong with that?!?!?

Bah, I don't even live in the US but I already hate the DMCA, Its one of the most annoying laws I can think of.

I hope that the new law banning firewalls and NAT will go ahead, in fact I highly doubt that it will go threw at all after the law makers relise what is it that they are doing and the effect it will have on local companies, but then again who knows.....

I would not be very happy myself because it would mean taking my other pc's internet access away from them, because I currently use NAT for my network.

Politicians always seem to be ill informed of the workings of anything to do with computers and this is just another example of that. More and more I see them chipping away at our privacy online in the U.S.
    Ben Franklin said it best. \"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    Its too bad that Al Gore couldn't think of all of these issues- running out of IP addresses, encryption vs. no encryption, etc. when he invented the Internet.

Seems like very poor planning on his part.

Banned
    The rumor that Al Gore "invented the internet" is false... He funded alot of projects & stuff but when is the last time you ever saw the guy infront of a PC? http://commons.somewhere.com/rre/200...the.Inte1.html

Saying that Al Gore invented the internet is like saying that Bill Gates invented computers.... Both of those guys cashed in and bought other peaples ideas... nuff said.

Even if it is a bit of a hoax I respect your freedom to say what you want....
    Needless to say the DMCA is willing to do litterally anything to protect (MONEY)...

It warps the mind how they are saying that a (personal-PC) must be regulated, judged, and if needed be shutdown in order to keep some rich music tycoon happy. HAHAHAH screw protesting Saddam... the real threat is in our offices and streets.