Thread: Yet another hardware problem?

Yet another hardware problem?

My friend of mined just bought a 70GB of SCSI harddisk, he wanted it to have window98se installed, the problem is its big enough to have 70GB storage running on win98se and office 2000. so what he did he partition it using FDISK command, 5 partition, the proccess is still fine until partition is finished. The problem came out when he restarted the system, when he viewed the disk using "c:\fdisk /status" the drive still 70GB nothing happened. Is any tool that can partition SCSI drive or the SCSI has its own disk manager tool? and why FDISK cannot support 70GB SCSI, what is total capacity the FAT32 can handle?

Banned
    Maybe instead of doing the option save and write to partion table he may have done just the option exit. That wouldn't save and that might be you're problem.

I have seen other tools used instead of fdisk. We used one at work a while ago but i can't remember what it was called. The programs are out there somewhere. If I remember I'll tell you.

Partition Magic 7.0 + should do the trick. but my advice to you is dont use Fat32 File System, use the NT File System. it seems so work much better and i think that it has a higher capacity than the Fat series.
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

Trust - I agree that PM7+ should do the trick.

I also agree that NTFS is a much better filing system than FAT32 (and yes it does have a higher 'capacity' than FAT32... I take it your referring to the maximum partition size limitation when using FAT32?)... he's using win98SE as the OS... NTFS isn't going to work for him - not unless he changes his OS.

Anyway xmover, I'd be inclined to check Cyberspyders suggestion first and then maybe look at PM7+... but fdisk should be ok for SCSI drives

having said all of that... isn't thins kinda in the wrong forum anyway?

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Ever heard of Ranish Partition Manager? Dunno....just a shot in the dark.....but it may do almost exactly what you're looking for. Only difference I can think of is that it only allows 4 active partitions for each physical drive. So if you have 2 physical drives, that's 8 partitions you can have active at a time. But if you are only using 1 physical drive, 5 won't work. Anyway, I dunno why you would need 5 partitions for any Windows OS.....I'd be interested in hearing the logic behind it, unless it's just for the point of trying to have 5 partitions....*shrug*
    Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Oh yeah, Ranish Partition Manager is freeware too!

Digitalis

The Iceman Cometh
    Does he have SCSI support directly on the motherboard, or is he using a SCSI Card which he plugs the drive into? I'm asking because, if it's a RAID card, he may have to use the BIOS which appears at start up to configure and partition the drive. Just a thought.

AJ

the maximum partition size for FAT32 is 32GB (well, maybe it's 30GB. i might be off by a bit).

as Trust_Not_123 said, Partition Magic would be a great tool to use in this situation. the Disk Management MMC Snap-In in Windows 2000 or Windows XP could also be useful, but you could only access those if you're installing that o/s, which i'm not entirely sure if you'd be up to doing. either of these tools are relatively easy to use, with a simple GUI.
    i will shoot you so hard.

There is a known issue with partitioning and formatting harddrives over 30 gigs with win98, try doing your partitioning and formatting with another operating system, or maybe the tools that came with the drive, then do your installation of win98.

PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com