Thread: Partition Smartition!

The Recidivist

Partition Smartition!

I know there out there but I don't know what to look for. I need a program that allows me to partition a hardrive with formating it and starting with a blank drive. I have windows on a partition and need to pull about 5 gigs into another partition without messing up anything. Any help?

hjack
    "Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise": thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

Ok...

If i'm reading this correctly you want to resize your current partition and then use the space you cut off it to create a new partition

Here's what I would suggest....

Defrag your hard drive.
    Run Partition Resizer -- Available here
    Run fdisk

That's how I used to do it.

HT

The Recidivist
    That program cannot be used from the partition that I am re-sizing and if I had another partition to run it from I would not need to use it in the first place!!! Thank you for the attempt though. I know now that it can be done I just have to look for a program that can be used.

hjack
    "Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise": thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

Ummm... Partition Magic? http://www.powerquest.com

If you need something free, I believe the brand new Mandrake Linux 9.1 installer now has both FAT and NTFS resizing support. You could run the installer up to the partition stage, do your resizing, and then exit without installing.

The resizer that HTRegz linked to only works on FAT partitions, but it can be run from a DOS boot floppy to eliminate the problem of the partition being in use.

Hope this helps.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

run FIPS .. it runs off a floppy.

Yeah I used to use FIPS(same method HTRegz suggested, w/ defrag and fdisk), worked for me the fews time I used it, but it was on a FAT partition, never tried it on any other FS. . .what windows version do you have, btw??

Now I just start fresh everytime. . .wipe the drives and reload everything, heh heh, fun fun, compulsive reformatter here
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.