Thread: Hardware Issue? or is it a VIRUSE?

Hardware Issue? or is it a VIRUSE?

Alright, i got Verizon DSL, i just got it like a week ago.

The problem:
    I log into Win2K, and guess what, no IP. i cant ping, i cant trace route. my cd-rom goes wack.

So im thinking, well if its my NIC, then it shouldnt work in Linux, WRONG! it works fine in linux, my nic works, cd-rom works, everything is fine. why do i think its not the service? because the laptop that i have on the mini network is working fine, and its working 2k

The confusion:

I downloaded Mcafee, and well.... it didnt find anything wrong. so i dont know. I have windows on a seperate partition then the rest of the system.

The solution: Well im asking you! have you seen a viruse like that? or is it just my hardware and WIN2k acting up again.
    Im Chris Bartholomew - 18 Years old

TSeNg
    questions? Cxbartholomew@yahoo.com

My first suggestion would be to check your tcp/ip settings for your network adapter card. Make sure everything is correct. I'm asssuming that you are using dhcp. If all else fails reinstall your network adapter. The cd-rom question I do not fully understand. Is windows not recognizing it, or is it just not working correctly.
    Ben Franklin said it best. \"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"

How is your network operating? I have DSL here, with 3 computers going into a hub, each one is dialing the DSL seperately and getting it's own real IP.... are you running similar to that.. or do you have a router connected to the DSL and then have it assigning internal IPs threw DHCP to the other computers?

A few things to check:

TCP/IP Settings on Win2k (as EaseZE suggested)
    Are the correct drivers installed for your NIC
    Is the PPPoE service started (Win 2k requires the service be installed and running, if you are connecting directly to your DSL)
    Is the Dialer Application running and connecting if you are connecting directly to the DSL

Well basically, last night and for the past couple nights it worked, then this morning.. it dont! everthing should be that same, yep.. they are the same.... so yeah, i dotn understand.
    Im Chris Bartholomew - 18 Years old

TSeNg
    questions? Cxbartholomew@yahoo.com