Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sharing net acesss

sharing net acesss

hey im trying set up a home network to share my cable internet access. Both comps have win2k and redhat 7.3. I cant get it to work though. I plugged the cable modem into a switch, then plugged the computers into the switch. But i dont have net access on either computers.

can anyone help.

I'm pretty sure that you won't be able to do it that way... you will need a router.

If you want, you can network both PCs and use one of the Win2k boxes as your gateway using Internet Connection Sharing.

Here is a good walkthrough. They are very detailed and cover practically every situation for home networking.

First make sure the cable modem in plugged into the wan side. Depending on what kind of switch it is you may have to configure it to issue ip addresses. Also make sure your clients are configured to use dhcp instead of a static routing table.
    Ben Franklin said it best. \"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"

it'd be best to check with your ISP to see how many IP addresses are assigned to you. if you only get one, then you'll need a router with NAT on it. if you get more than that (one of the ISPs in my area assigns 5), then you can just put one of those on your computers.

if you only get the one IP address, then you'll need the router, and i'll give you a general idea of how you'll configure it, because that's what i'm doing

get the router and its confguration disc. for the config process of mine (Linksys 4-port router), i had to directly connect my computer to my ISP's box to test for connectivity. after the configuration gets past that, it'll ask you to connect the ISP box to the router (mine was by straight UTP cable, not by crossover, as i had initially assumed) in the WAN port. then another straight UTP cable in to the back of the computer. make sure the computer has DHCP enabled until you have everything else set up. finish the install process, then check if you can connect to any websites or whatever. if you can't, poke around in your router's firmware, and i assume for most of them, it's just by typing its IP address in your address bar in IE or whatever. mine's 192.168.1.1, so just do a quick ipconfig in the command prompt to make sure, and your default gateway is your router.

after you've done all that, and you know what address range your router is giving you, you can set static internal IP addresses (192.168.x.x or 172.16.x.x or whatever the router's network address is) just for management purposes. when you set the static IP addresses, you'll need to set static DNS addresses, which either your ISP can provide you with, or your router's firmware will show.

i hope i explained that right
    i will shoot you so hard.

wan side? Do you mean the uplink port? I have a d-link DSS-8+ switch.

I dont have a router. if i only have 1 ip can i make a proxy/gateway which would be connected to both the cable modem and switch by using 2 network cards to share internet?

can someone help?

I think you will find the DSS-8+ is a switch, what you need to share a single DSL connection is a router. Its an easy mastake to make, hell ive made it. also you need to go HERE for advice on your product, as thay are recalling some units due to power problems. if that is the case and yours is one of the recalls refund it and get a 4 potr router.

Product Recall Notice
    External AC Power Adapter for Model DSS-8+ and DSH-8

We are recalling the external AC power adapters of the DSS-8+ Ver. A1(serial number HJP*********) and DSH-8 Ver. B2 ( serial number SGD*********) that use a power input of 5 volts 2.5 amps and fall within the following serial number range on the Kentex MA15-050 external AC Power Adapters: 99xxxxx thru 0012xxx. The power adapter may overheat and fail. Please contact our Returned Merchandise Department immediately at 888-499-9945 and we will arrange an advance replacement of your existing unit(s).

good luck.

Ok the way you may want to consider doin this is a multi NIC machine. Put two nicks in one of the computers you are using. Enable ip routing. Plug your cable internet into NIC one. Then set up NIC two statically, as something in the class C network range. 192.168.1.1 would be fine. After that plug your cat 5 into NIC two and into the uplink port of your switch. After that plug your other computers into the switch ... but not into the port right next to the uplink port. Set up the other computers to use 192.168.1.1 as a default gateway. If ip routing is enabled all should be well. I did this before I got a router.
    Ben Franklin said it best. \"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"

thanks man! so even if you have 1 ip address you can share the connection with a dual NIC comp? Got any tutorials or guides for setting up ip routing in linux?

thanks a million.

Originally posted here by pinkpanther
    wan side? Do you mean the uplink port?
    on routers there is a WAN port, along with an uplink one. the uplink port is for connecting multiple routers/hubs/switches/etc... together. as EaseZE (and you) had said, you could have two NICs in your computer, which i should have thought of earlier... configuration might be harder, though, and hardware routers tend to be plain and simply better than software routers. anyway, if you decide to go down the path of dual NICs, then you would plug it in to the uplink port, as the computer would be simulating a router, and that's what your switch would see it as.
    i will shoot you so hard.

I get all my answers from a site called "Linux Format" its got a strong following and an extensive help listing, a search kicked up this page. here
    In case you cant go right to the link the home page is Linux Format
    The site is called Linux Format but its URL is linuxanswers.co.uk. do a search for "routers" it will kick up a lot of answers. In fact you should search routers with your distro name togather, as the site caters for at least 20 other Linux distros.

P.S. I also get some good answers from Antionline great site guys or girlies, ( or both ). hell I dont know.