Installing Linux Slackware 8.1 on a P1 with Doze 95 version B

Thread: Installing Linux Slackware 8.1 on a P1 with Doze 95 version B

Exclamation Installing Linux Slackware 8.1 on a P1 with Doze 95 version B

I'm trying to install Slackware 8.1 on my computer. Internet explorer was corrupted and i said screw it, im not gonna put doze back on. I've set the bios to boot from the CD-ROM then the Floppy, then finaly my IDE harddrive. No matter what, it still does not boot from the CD-ROM, even though my other computer does (I'm not allowed to install it on that one, it's my father's computer from work). I already have made a new partition on the main drive of 2.055 GB and formatted it using MS-DOS (the version it puts you in when u click "restart in dos" with Doze 95. Any help at all would be appreciated (i'm getting pretty desperate).

Also, i need to know wat the "init" boot command for linux is and wat i should enter. When i try using a boot disk it gets a decent ways into it then says something along the lines of "kernel panic, pass init= at boot prompt" or something close to that.

System Specs-

-Pentium I 233
    -32MB Unknown Type (old, 72 pins)
    -ATI 3D-RAGE II Video Card
    -4GB IDE harddrive divided into: one 2GB Windows/DOS Partition, and one 2GB DOS Partition to install Linux onto
    -Standard IDE 3.5" Floppy Diskette Drive
    -Standard 32(?)x IDE CD-ROM Drive
    -Unknown Source
    There are 10 types of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those that do not.
    -Zero Wing - Sega Genesis EU
    All your base are belong to us. Someone set up us the bomb.

You might want to try creating a boot diskette, from there it would load cd-rom drivers and continue the install from there.

PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

I have been using Slackware since about 96' and have had the same issue you are seeing with respect to a bootable CD on several occassions, but just never looked too deep into it because I had other systems on which to do the install, etc.

Kind of a pain in the butt, but whenever I wanted Slack badly enough on a box that couldn't boot the CD, I would stick the drive in a box that would, ... do the install..., and then stick the drive back in the intended box. That's pretty much a kludgey way to do it, but it works.

As for the floppies, make sure you are using the correct 'root' and 'boot' floppies for your hardware. Slackware is a lot more picky in this respect than a Distro like Mandrake which makes all the decisions it can for you. The symptoms you posted are what I have usually seen when I tried to boot an image meant for SCSI hardware on an IDE system, etc.

The trade off is that after a little use, and lost sleep during the noob phase you will emerge more knowledgeable than your Mandrake/Suse/RedHat brethern who have not gone through these growing pains.

Sorry to drone on with my pro-Slackware propaganda/spam.... Remeber: User friendly = stupid users
    Get OpenSolaris http://www.opensolaris.org/

Senior since the 3 dot era
    It's possible that your box can't boot from CD-rom. Your motherboard bios and CD-rom drive need to support El Torito indexing in order to be able to boot from CD-rom. Also self burned cd's could make some trouble on certain older cd readers.

My advice is to create a bootable floppy and to install from that.

Pentium I 233
    ???
    Wouldn't this be: Pentium II 233Mhz ???

Hey spurious_inode, I love the signature. : )

PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

thnx all

aright, thanx everyone. ya, i already tried boot/root disks. that's y i asked about the init cmd
    w/e i would boot it up, once it finished everything, i would mention a "kernel panic" and say to pass init= option to the kernel. as far as the put the HD in a puter that would load the disk, i thought of that too, i have to beat up my friend til he lets me lol. i think i heard something about the slackware 8.1 disk being "ISO" or w/e and how that would make it so that older computers couldn't read it. either way, that puter is shot i think. just tried installing 98 (that boot cd would work) and the thing froze as soon as you hit "run setup from doze 98 cd-rom". the motherboard is prolly goin, the puter is pretty old. oh well, thnx anyway, everyone! BTW, righteous sig spurious

(grrrr, this place needs to enable HTML in msgs, BBCode=spawn of satan AKA Bill Gates)
    -Unknown Source
    There are 10 types of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those that do not.
    -Zero Wing - Sega Genesis EU
    All your base are belong to us. Someone set up us the bomb.