EAnthology removal

Thread: EAnthology removal

Angry EAnthology removal

A friend of mine asked me to help remove an "annoying" program.....I got there and it was this damned stop-sign/threat scanner.
    We removed it from control panel, but it didn't get rid of the shortcut icons when you right click items......it eventually re-installed itself.
    I used Norton System works Clean Sweep.....same thing happened.
    I manually deleted all the files I was sure were with the program.....it came back again.
    I went into regedit and deleted all references to the damn thing.....IT'S STILL THERE!
    I've tried googling for the answer, but all I seem to be able to find is other people asking how to get rid of the thing....
    Idea's anyone?
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.

Well usually I make a restore point before I download/install anything so I can go back if something messes up, but I am guessing you didn't so usually every once and a while your computer makes a restore point to a date that you can go back to or saves automatically sometimes. I think this will work, click start, go to programs, accessories, system tools, system restore, then a box should come up that says either choose Restore my computer back to a certain date, create a restore point, and another one, make sure Restore my computer back to a certain date is ckecked and click ok and click on the most recent day but before you downloaded it then it will reboot your computer and then I think it will be gone. Not sure if ya tried that though.

>Hope that helps.
    [glowpurple]NooNoo\'s [/glowpurple]

He isn't sure when the program was installed...it's been annoying them for some time now. System restore isn't working.
    I went through and helped them with the entire system, they'd gotten from somebody else and had upteen billion things they didn't need.....
    Faqt

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Thanks, I used google once before, but didn't come up with any answers....thank you for the links.
    I'll try again tomorrow and let you know if I get the thing completely removed.
    Faqt

It does help to know the Operating system when making this enquries..

MsMittens Has some good links for info.. the first link is your best bet, the third may give you a different view on the removal..

You could also try Spybot S&D (It has EAnthology in its lists nothing though with stop-sign) this is a handy tool to clean systems.. Not perfect, and none of these tools are.. But it is about the best free Spy/Parasite-ware remover (my second choice is Ad-Aware)..

Please let us know how you get on..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

I didn't get a chance to work on his computer today, but I walked him through a download and run of spybot last night on messenger and I think it may have taken care of it. (we'll see)
    Faqt

Spybot seems to have removed the program.....kindof.
    It's no-longer re-installing itself, or appearing anywhere in the folders and registry.
    We still can't get it to disapear from the right click menu.
    The OS is XP Profesional.
    Faqt

Finally got it. We ran Spybot again and it came up with 110 files for Eacceleration. When I tried to remove them from Spybot it removed all but one file....that file popped up a warning saying I didn't have permisions to remove it (was still running in memory) then the damned thing completly re-installed itself!!!!
    I went into msconfig and did a diagnostic startup that only booted the basics and ran spybot as soon as bootup had finished...this finally alowed me to remove ALL the files.

(LOL, only took me about a month to figure out!)
    Faqt