Thread: A Client-side Spell Checker

A Client-side Spell Checker

I've noticed that AO's Spell Check feature doesn't work very well (at least not with IE). If you would like a client-side spell checker than you can use the little htm file that I have attached. If you are running under any Windows version and MS Word installed on your PC here's what you need to do to install it:

[list=1][*]Copy the SpellCheck.htm file to any convenient folder[*]Run regedit (I suggest you make a backup copy of the registry before you begin)[*]Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MenuExt[*]Add a new Key named Spell Check (or anything else you want to call it)[*]Click on the Default, right click, and choose Modify[*]Enter the path to SpellCheck.htm (e.g. C:\htm files\SpellCheck.htm)[*]Right click on the Spell Check key and choose New|Binary Value[*]Change the name of that value to contexts[*]Right click on contexts, choose Modify and type in 04[*]Restart AO, highlight the text in a post that you want to spell check, right click, and choose Spell Check.
    [/list=1]
    Note: Under some operating systems, the little spell check window gets hidden behind other open windows but it's not hard to find.
    - Runner -

Hey StreetRunner.....

That's really nice... I hope that a lot of people that use these forums take advantage of this feature. I just added it to my laptop to test it.. and I'll definately be throwing it on all my other computers, and prolly a few that aren't mine..

Thanks alot.

HT

Hmm... For some reason this doesn't work on my linux box...

Just kidding of course. I've never seen anything quite like this before but it looks pretty cool. Thanks.

Thanks. I have other htm files that I'll post when I get a chance that allow you to do lists, text formatting, quoting, adding http links and several other activities via the right-click menu.
    - Runner -