ACLU cyberchief worried about privacy

Thread: ACLU cyberchief worried about privacy

Question ACLU cyberchief worried about privacy

The American Civil Liberties Union's cyberchief holds up his Handspring Treo, a combination organizer, phone and e-mail gadget, as he describes the many ways his government might spy on him.

Snoops could try to tap into the calendar to see his meeting schedule. They could ask his service provider for phone and e-mail records. If Steinhardt were to upgrade to a device with global-positioning capabilities, investigators might even track his whereabouts.

Though the government isn't necessarily doing any of this, Steinhardt fears it's just a matter of time.
    Also,

These are extraordinarily difficult times for civil liberties. -- Barry Steinhardt
    Source : Mr. CNN

Well, could the government be spying on the ACLU chief ?
    Or would it consider ?

Comments invited.
    \"I have a 386 Pentium.\"

I really don't blame him....

With everything that the American government has been imposing on US citizens lately... I would be just as leery of the government, especially if I was involved in a civil liberties group..

To start by quoting the article:

Research headed by John Poindexter, a former national security adviser, to develop Total Information Awareness, a computer system to mine phone, credit card and other records in hopes of spotting clues and patterns to identify would-be terrorists.

Draft legislation in the Justice Department calling for, among other things, a DNA database of "suspected terrorists" and extended penalties for scrambling communications in the commission of a crime.

A new airline-passenger screening system, called CAPPS II, to check such things as credit reports and consumer transactions and compare passenger names with those on government watch lists.
    When you add to that the USA Patriot Act, the DMCA, and now this whole issue with Encryption and NAT and so on... If I were even related to a group that was against this.. I'd be concerned...

When you know the government has the means to do so, when you see what other things they are doing, and when you stand up against them. You have to be concerned about your security, your privacy. They aren't going to be very happy with what you're doing and may feel the need to watch you.

But anyways that's just my 2 cents.