Thread: Upgrade Your PDA (RAM)

Banned

Talking Upgrade Your PDA (RAM)

Hey All,

This is for those who don't have a memory slot on their PDA (or just want to upgrade it)

How To Upgrade A PDA

.:Disclaimer:.
    If something happens to your PDA (like faulty soldering), sorry, but you kinda knew the risks, eh? If you are unsure about doing it, you can hire a business to do it through an online shop. Google will bring up many sites, just use the keyword "PDA Ram Upgrade"

Note - Palm m100
    This tutorial is for the Palm m100 and compatible series. This is just to show the simplicity of upgrading a PDA. Below will be some online tutorials for other PDAs. Just go to google and use keywords like "DRAM upgrade xpda" or "how to upgrade xpda" (you get the idea)

Step 1 - Removing The Case
    It seems that most PDA companies made sure that noone could go and poke around inside the little computers. How? By using either T5 screws or glued the case together. So be careful disassembling the case. It seems that the mxx models have screws and the III/V cases are glued. PocketPC's vary as well. For those with the screws, go to RadioShack or any electronics store and get a T5 screwdriver (hexadecimal)

Four screws are found on the back case. Two at the top (beside the stylus slot and mirror to the right) and two at the bottom (side to side by the hotsync connector/slot) Here's a sample image *sample*

As for the glued cases, use a thin & long flathead screwdriver and slowly pry the case from the top (ir port area) and slowly open the case. Keep an eye out for clamps that are holding the case in place as well. Later on, you can use rubber cement to re-glue the case.

Step 2 - Soldering Chip Devices
    I'll allow Molly from Fueai.or.jp to explain this step. I might not say it proper, I just know what she means from when I did it for two buddies.

Note: Use soldering goggles, it helps for precision!

YELLOW->
    You will find a very small device is soldered under the
    YELLOW arrow in the picture below.
    This is a double-jumper-resistor which
    is connected to address bus for DRAM memory chip.

*Remove the device from the original position.
    *Solder it to the place next to that nothing is loaded.

RED<-
    You will find a small device is soldered above the
    RED arrow in the picture below.
    This is a jumper-resistor which
    is connected to "Output Enable"signal for DRAM memory chip.

*Remove the device from the original position.
    *Solder it to the place next to that nothing is loaded.
    Image 1
    Image 2 (old location)
    Image 3 (new location)

Step 3 - Ram Replacement
    You'll know which chip is your Ram by the OKI name. In the sample image above (for screws) it's the chip at the left of the beige AAC chip.

1-Remove this chip as cleanly as possible. (to ensure clean contacts for the next chip.)
    2-Clean any mess that could cause faulty contacts between two slips
    3-Place and solder new Ram chip
    X-suggested 8MB chips are NEC uPD42S65165G5-A6,0 SAMSUNG KM416V4104B, TOSHIBA TC5165165AFTS-60, and HITACHI HM5165165LTT6. (those used for the PalmV)

Step 4 - Putting The Case Back
    Well this one is kinda obvious. Nust a note for glued cases. I suggest rubber cement. I found it less messy then other types of glues.

Sources:
    -PDAStreet.com
    -PalmPilotUpgrade (incl. PocketPC)

Photogallery:
    -Palms
    -PocketPC

Ram Dealer/Database:
    -Shop Brando
    -InterWEB

Tutorials:
    -PalmIII series
    -Hacking Calvin - mxx series
    -Molly @ Fureai - mxx series
    -Palm V series

Interesting tutorial.

The only thing you forgot to mention is that by even taking the case off any Palm you violate warranty and if you cause other problems, you are SOL.

This is a good idea for some, but I think if you need a RAM upgrade on your PDA it would be just as cost effective to get a new Palm. The ones coming out these days far exceed what the m100 can even dream of doing.

Oh, the other thing is don't try to solder anything unless you've had alot of experience. From what I know, these are laser soldered chips (which means they are very small joints and nearly impossible to change without totally messing up your Palm).

D'elTarra
    Your friendly IT Consultant and Sales-type person.

Banned
    As for the warranty, well that was kinda obvious and by this point in time, most PDAs must be out of their warranty.

As for the SOL thing, I kinda mentioned that in the Disclaimer.

Some of the PDAs are lazer soldered but it's still possible to do. And Like I mentioned, if anyone fells uncomfortable doing so can just get the PDA done by one of the listed websites.

Upgrading a PDA isn't as costly as thought, but yeah, it might be better to buy a new one. But for some people, upgrading is a prefered idea (recycling, work budget.....) As well as wanting to try it out themselves for fun. (eh phishpreek? )

So that's why I wrote this tutorial.