Password lockdown

Thread: Password lockdown

Password lockdown

Hi! I was wondering if there was a way one who did not have supervisor privileges could take thier password out of lockout. I forgot mine, guessed it 5 times and got locked out. We are on the newest version of Novell so it's not easy. I would ask the system administrator but we are not on what I would call friendly terms. Thanks!

social engineering

if you and the admin aren't playing nice, either
    a) suck up to him/her
    b) send them a polite email asking them to unlock you and reset your password (if you have internet access. if your admin is any good, he won't do it, because this is a well-known hacker trick. then again, if he doesn't like you, he probably thinks that your stupid and would be the type of person to forget passwords - no personal offense intended on my behalf)
    c)ask someone else to tell him to unlock you, or ask him with someone else around (this should - in most cases - help avoid a scene.)

hope some of this helps....
    i\'m starting to think that i\'m bound to always be the first guy on the second page of the thread.

I would ask the system administrator but we are not on what I would call friendly terms.
    If your account is locked out, the only one(s) who can unlock it is someone with admin privledges and access to the servers.

It doesn't matter if you are on friendly terms with them or not. It is their job to unlock your password. They have to do it and they will do it. Otherwise you can't get your job done. If the admin gives you trouble, talk to your supervisor, and they will talk to the admin. I'm sure the admin doesn't need a visit from the seniors...

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    Those admins wield a lot of power. :-)

Its like the guy in the elevator in the McDonald's commercial (apologies to those that haven't seen it and have no clue what I am referring to).

Is it just the one admin, or are there other techies or help desk people with admin rights to unlock the password? Maybe there is someone who can help you that you are on better terms with.

Unfortunately, it isn't something you can do yourself- that would defeat the purpose of locking the account out in the first place.

Well, hopefully I'm not a day late and a dollar short here but......IIRC, the default Novell lockout time is 30 minutes. You could always try again in a half hour. Your milage may vary. If your Admin is preventing you from doing your job, however, just because he's being a *****, I'd say that's grounds to go talk to someone about.

I hate all my users, yet I still change passwords for them as soon as they ask.