msn messenger ip

Thread: msn messenger ip

msn messenger ip

Hello,

I have a general type of question.

I use msn messnger and if i have a firewall installed on my system will it also tell me the ip address of someone with whom I am having a chat session......

If yes then how can identify that this is the ip address with whom i am having a chat session.

thanks.

Best Regards.
    Beware Clarity! A person talking to you in clear language is clearly using obsolete ideas.

i think that the IP you are seeing is the MSN messenger server's IP , i didn't think that you connected directly to other users (unless file transfer)- so when you talk to another user, first your message is sent to the MSN messenger server and then onto the the other user (the server stand in between both users)...

a good way to test this is to ask a friend to compare IP addresses against the one in your firewall... just ask a friend to "ipconfig" and send you the data? compare the IP addresses... or you could use an IP locater (AO offers one in the tools section) to see where the IP is phys. situated...
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

I don't think you can tell a persons ip from MSN messenger.

Like AIM, it connects to a server and relays your IMs to the other person.

The only way you'd be able to tell what the real ip is to direct connect to them.

Or... provide a hyperlink with your ip in there. Your firewall will alert you that someone is trying to connect to your machine.... and you will now have the right IP address. But... they will also have your IP address.

To get an Ip off of your firewall logs you will need to get them to send packets directly to you on a port the easiest way is to tell them to click a link like http://<your ip here> this will send packets to port 80 on your computer and will show up in your firewall logs quick and easy answer
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

Re: msn messenger ip

Originally posted here by UrDaddy
    Hello,

I have a general type of question.

I use msn messnger and if i have a firewall installed on my system will it also tell me the ip address of someone with whom I am having a chat session......

If yes then how can identify that this is the ip address with whom i am having a chat session.

thanks.

Best Regards.

Establish a direct connection >>>>>> file transfer

Dead Man Walking
    im not sure about msn messenger but i know yahoo messenger is a direct connect. I have tested it. If you trave the ip addy with hacktracer or similar prog it will give you the name of the other users isp and everything