Windows 98 install dilema

Thread: Windows 98 install dilema

Windows 98 install dilema

Hi,

I am installing Win 98 back on a Compaq laptop because there are no existing XP drivers for the modem. Anywho, I am using my Windows 98 Upgrade disk and it is asking for a 3.1 or 95 disk to prove prior Windows ownership. The bad thing is I tossed my Win 95 disk in the trash a year ago. Does anybody know of a website that has 3.1 or 95 for download or maybe a way around this security. I'm not trying to cheat anyone. I have owned both 3.1 and 95 before but I just got rid of the disks and I need to get my laptop working. And I don't have the Quick Restore disk either.

Thanks.

There isn't a legal way to go about doing what you just mentioned, unless you had the original media to install.. However, to get your laptop up and running, you may want to download Red Hat Linux and install that. It's leaps and bounds better than any microsoft product and it can do anything windows can do. I'm sorry, I've never seen Linux give a blue screen of death, so almost anything windows does.

PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

Or you can just buy a cheap previous version of win 95 off e-bay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=11229

Install that then reinstall win 98 if you have the time to wait on it to be delivered. Thats about the only legal way I know of to get what you want.

That is good advise, install red hat or mandrake linux, there is a learning curve to it but you may find you like it. I wrestled with the same problem about a year ago, and had the prev. 95, still could not get 98 to reinstall, put Mandrake on and use it, however you will have a problem if you wipped out the winmodem,,,

I would install Linux but it is a family laptop and no one else is very pc fluent except me.

Banned
    Call Compaq and they will send you another QuickRestore CD for your laptop, even dated system (or as they call them, classic systems) go to Compaq.com (or HP.com since the merger) and try to find your laptop in their classic systems. There you can find a link to their software (downloadable) or to a how-to order form for a CD.

Give me the name of your laptop and I'll find it for ya if you can't.

The Iceman Cometh
    You mentioned that you aren't installing XP because there are not drivers for you modem. Have you checked www.ntcompatible.com or www.drivers.com? They often have hard-to-find drivers and patches to resolve such issues for Windows 2000 and Windows XP. If you really can't find the drivers you want, I'd go with amorphous's suggestion and just buy a cheap 95 or even a full 98 CD off of e-bay. Good luck!

AJ

I would recommend trying the Compaq Restore CD option as comented by tyger_claw.. THe problem with drivers will probably be worse with a std 98 install.. you will still have to go hunting for drivers.perhaps your chances of compatability would be better..
    And to stay legit follow amorphous and avdven's advice..

I keep a copy of the System Builders Conditions/agreement to show my customers when they get Pissed off because I can't "Just use someone else's CD"

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr