Thread: Not sure about this.

Question Not sure about this.

One of my users just recieved the following e-mail:

Subject: My Portfolio

Hi,

I am not sure I have the right email address, if not please excuse
    the intrusion. My name is Ernie Simmons. I am looking for web design and logo work.
    Please click the link below to see my portfolio.

http://209.124.81.66/~wwwcndt/

Thanks
    Ernie
    Now I told the user to just delete the e-mail and don't click on the link. I currently don't have a computer that is quarantined that I can test the link on, and a trace route doesn't yield anything useful. If anyone out there does (have a quarantined system), I would be interested to find out if the link points to something dangerous or harmless.

Cheers:
    DjM

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I clicked it and it came up with some nicely designed sites in flash. Doesn't seem threatening and certainly didn't trigger off my AV.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    It seems like a harmless spam ad. Just a bunch of thumbnails of examples of other Flash intros the guys has done.

Maybe I missed something, but no alarms or anything suspicious popped up when I visited it.

I've test the link abob, and is just some guy showing him job on flash desing.

But you have taken the right action. Deleting the suspicius mail and asking for help.

Now you can test the link with out risk.

xDrack.

I'll have to agree with everyone else, Trend OfficeScan / Viruswall / Scanmail didnt even bleep when I looked over the site and it appears to be fine.

I did a couple of er......'special scans' and didnt find anything out of the ordinary.

I think its probably just a one-man-band business trying generate some ca$h.

Not bad at flash either.........
    I remember when Nihil was ickle. Does that mean I'm old?

Thanks for your help Gang, it's just the paranoia coming out in me, and the fact it's April Fools, I have told my users to be extra cautious today.

Cheers:
    DjM

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    Always better safe than sorry.

We have asked employees and our customers to be extra vigilent with the U.S. / Iraq hostilities and to simply not click on any links in any email if they aren't 100% sure what its about.

If it had a business use or was important in any way we assume the user would recognize both the sender and the purpose of the web site. If they don't, we have asked them not to go clicking on stuff.