Thread: Automatic User Login Creation / Password Automation.

Automatic User Login Creation / Password Automation.

Hi AO'ers,

Webby things like this arent my strong point.

So.....

I've created a website (offline at the moment) and for people to access certain information they have to be a registered user. To register is free (much the same as AO / the up and coming Bytekill and Security Focus.

BUT I want to be able to automate the registrations So the user gives his name and email address & other info on a form on the site and then it automatically generates a password and logs his details in a Database and then automatically emails him confirmation along with his login credentials.

Im sure its easy BUT i havent got a clue!!! Used DreamWeaver MX to create the site and the host server its going on supports all kinds of scripts & actions. As far as the database goes for logging the info I was hoping to get away with Borland or access as cost is a problem on this project. Hope this is enough info.

Any of you fellow members, addicts, moderators or newbies that can help??

Cheers
    VicE$Dos$
    I remember when Nihil was ickle. Does that mean I'm old?

Not sure how to pull this off either, but my suggestion would be to get your hands on the code for PHP board or YaBB, both of which do this kind of authentication with a DB. It sounds like you are hitting a windows box, if this where Linux I can dig up m code for hitting shadow passwords with perl.

Will you run a server on your own PC?

If the answer is yes the following prog may be helpful:
    - Aplet-Servlet http://java.internet.com/ThinSQL/
    - Password applet vLoginPass/

Anyway there is many site that provide scripts just google it: you'll find some site such as www.javascriptsource.com or http://java.internet.com/
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]

Thanks chaps. Good advice!

Im not hosting on my machine...its going over to the ISP. They are all micro$oft based systems.

Any further ideas?

Cheers
    VicE$DoS$

See what program righs you have at the ISP. There is a way built into IIS to password a site via ASP, I'd have to talk to my VB guys if you want the exact code.

Well what you are asking is a hell alot of code. So I can only help by breaking down the problem.

1) Find what languages your host supports?
    2) find out what if they host databases as well?
    3) find out if the host supports sending emails from the application?
    4) you will need to use a language like asp (Im guessing as it is M$ based server, but php, jsp, coldfusion or perl-cgi will do) Start by learning this
    5) learn how to access a database with the language
    6) learn how to send a email with the languge

Sorry about the lack of information but the answer to your question is about 4 days of work.

Follow the stages and use my best friend google (as I know you can't be the first person to wont to know how to do this).

SittingDuck
    I\'m a SittingDuck, but the question is \"Is your web app a Sitting Duck?\"

Assumeing you use a language with a lot of this built in (db acess, encryption, some even have login moduals like vb) the code should take a lot less then four days...unfortunitly learning the language will take a lot more then four days. If your ISP allows dynamic hosting a good idea may be to jsut implament an existing board or something like that. I could make bettersugestions if i knew what you where trying to serve, data, text, binaries?

also check out some of the programming sites out there in the language you chose, Dr. dobbs and http://www.vb-bookmark.com/ there may be existing code to do what you want to do.

Originally posted here by SittingDuck
    Well what you are asking is a hell alot of code. So I can only help by breaking down the problem.

1) Find what languages your host supports?
    2) find out what if they host databases as well?
    3) find out if the host supports sending emails from the application?
    4) you will need to use a language like asp (Im guessing as it is M$ based server, but php, jsp, coldfusion or perl-cgi will do) Start by learning this
    5) learn how to access a database with the language
    6) learn how to send a email with the languge

Sorry about the lack of information but the answer to your question is about 4 days of work.

Follow the stages and use my best friend google (as I know you can't be the first person to wont to know how to do this).

SittingDuck

Essentially, you are going to have a script that takes the info from the form, places it into a database, generates a random password, then turns around and emails that user the proper information? OK, this does require a pretty good amount of code...

For starters, if cost is a concern, I would suggest using mySQL for your database - you can't beat the cost (it's free). Available at www.mysql.com

What have you coded the site using so far? Basic HTML, .ASP, etc? Do you already have your forms created?
    - Maverick

You have indicated your ISP uses MS for its servers. Most ISP's will support ASP. There are several good sites that have code you can use to accomplish your task. Here are some...

www.asp101.com
    www.aspfree.com
    www.planetsourcecode.com

Good luck...
    Work... Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...

To everyone who's helped out on this you have my most sincere thanks.

Im gonna read through all the links and points you've all given and see where I get.

Tomorrow I shall be assigning postive AP's to each and everyone one of you!!
    (Gotta do it tomorrow because i've hit my quota for the day!!)

Thanks ALL

ViCe$Dos$

Ps. Expect this thread to appear again once I know where I'm at!!