Trickler_4010.exe

Thread: Trickler_4010.exe

Question Trickler_4010.exe

I have come across a file that seems to be a total mystery to everyone I've talked to. Trickler_4010.exe was blocked by Norton Internet Security a few days ago. I can't stop the process though Norton Internet Security (NIS). I can stop the process with a utility called 'The Cleaner'. The next time I boot-up my machine it is active again. I found the file in a folder in Windows called 'Prefetch'. I can delete the file from 'Prefetch' and it will no longer show up there; however, even though I have deleted that file from 'Prefetch' the file is still active on my port monitor.

Anyway, I can't find any information about it anywhere...any ideas?

Thanks!
    \'Man can live beyond his death
    but not beyond his dishonor\'

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I did a little research just using the words Trickler and Virus on google. I found the following http://www.cyclingforums.com/t9451.html which might help. Seems to be a spyware kind of crap.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Thanks...that thread gave me some new options to try...didn't come up on my first Google search...aparently it's something new from
    Gator Crap....er....Corp. Thanks much!

If it's some new spyware, you may want to try Ad-Aware 6 with the latest reference files - Ad Aware should take care of the issue...
    - Maverick

I hate gator crap, I had the same file on my system for a while, spy bot search and destroy took care of it.

Well, thanks to all who replied....here's what I did to get rid of it. Ad-Aware 5.83 will identify Trickler but will not get rid of it because it is in use. So, I minimized Ad-Aware...opened 'The Cleaner' and identified the processes running...used TC to terminate the Trickler process...closed TC then re-opened Ad-Aware and KILLED THE LITTLE S**T!!!

So, again...thanks again!

Oh...by the way...I suppose it is important to say that I am using an XP machine (especially since you can't boot to 'DOS' mode in XP)

.02c worth..
    Have been having trouble with Ad-Aware and some removals.. I now use it in conjunction with Spybot S&D..
    I will recommend Ad-Aware 6 to newbies, But now use Spybot S&D in my service work and for my Main Win system at home.. Version 1.2 is certainly more newbie friendly.. and it has given the best removal results..

As for Gr8scot's problem.. this is very common problem with Ad-Aware 5.8x Version 6 has a bit more success at terminating these processes.. Your approach is good.. use what ever tools are at your disposal.. or as a friend said.. If the door won't open with the key.. use a sledge hammer..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr